A lot of what I have been doing on my maternity leave involves sewing. I think quilting is my new favorite hobby. So I have come up with a goal to make quilts for Project Linus. The organization gathers home made quilts and delivers them to children in hospitals. Since I now have personal experience in the ickiness of hospitals, I thought it was a worthy cause.
With the help of the young women, we have already donated 6 quilts. I hope to be able to send off many more.
I often think that I am not doing enough service. With so many catastrophes around the world, it is hard to feel like you can make a difference. So I am sticking with the mantra, "Think Globally, Act Locally." It somehow makes even small donations of time, talent and funds more meaningful, although I did get a hair cut and scalp treatment for Haiti. (All proceeds went to the Red Cross)
And since I love quilting, I am working on a big quilt for myself. Here are the fabrics. Its a spiderweb quilt and I hope it will turn out at least queen sized but I might give up and just stick with full sized. We'll see how it goes.
I, in no way, put up my charitable donations as any sort of bragging, I feel like if I blog about it one of two things might happen. Maybe someone will see the cause and also choose to contribute whether its quilts or time and energy elsewhere. Or maybe I will feel some accountability to my readers and will plow away with my efforts. Or maybe I will put together some quilt tying extravaganza and have a huge party where we tie quilts, eat good food and chat. Maybe...
4 comments:
Its nice to hear how other people do service. I always think too big and get overwhelmed, which means nothing gets done. I love to sew and this inspires me to know how I can serve while doing what I love. Thanks for posting :D
Shoot! This is Editt! That last comment was made by me, not some mysterious "family." I forgot I was logged in another account. Smooth, very smooth, Editt :D
i like this post & the phrase think globally, act locally. we live in an area with a lot of low income people who are struggling because of the economy. because of this our rs tends to do more service projects that are beneficial to our locality. i would like to do more humanitarian projects that would help haiti & now chile but the need here is strong. i'd like to look into project linus. i know hancocks fabrics takes project linus blankets.
it's me again! sorry! :) we recently sewed flannel receiving blankets for a local hospital to give to mothers who have lost their babies either in-utero or soon after birth. there were simple to do, even our young women participated.
Post a Comment