Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recovered Bag Project #2: Skirt


This skirt is super easy and anyone with minimal sewing skills can do it. You don't even need a pattern. I found the elastic at Hancock fabrics, Joannes was sold out, I found both black and white .

First you'll need:

-a piece of 2" wide elastic that will fit your waist (or wherever you want to wear the skirt, when I was pregnant, I measured under my bump)

-1 yard 45" fabric in cotton or something that will hang nicely. This is not the type of skirt you want to use a knit on. The fabric needs to be light too so you don't look super bulky.

-sewing machine, thread

1. Sew elastic into a tube by joining edges together.

2. Cut fabric into 2 36X22" pieces. Sew pieces, right side together to make a tube.

3. This is the only part that takes some tricky maneuvering. Baste along one edge of the fabric, it has to be a big stitch so that you can gather the fabric. By pulling the thread, gather the fabric to desired width. You'll have to play with how full you want the skirt to be. If its too much fabric, you might have to make your tube smaller.
4. Once you have the fabric how you want it, sew along gathers so it stays put. This is called stay stitching-it helps to use a contrasting colored thread as you will pick this stitching out later.

5. Pin skirt inside elastic band and attach.

6. Pick out the stay stitching and then hem skirt.

Super easy. I'm really excited about this skirt since wearing dresses and breastfeeding don't really go hand in hand. Right now I'm wearing this with boots and cardigans but once summer peeks out, I'll be pairing it with wedges and tees.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

You're so talented and really have a knack for putting outfits together. I love how the skirt works with the boots. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

cute! if I ever get a sewing machine I'll have to try that one :)

Unknown said...

haha, that last comment was me :)

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

THis is so cute! IM going to try it out! Keep the tutorials coming!

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

THis is so cute! IM going to try it out! Keep the tutorials coming!

Lori said...

i love love love that fabric!