6:49 start sewing a t-shirt for the baby. I have put off starting to make clothes for him because 1) it scared me and 2) finding suitable fabrics has been a challenge. But I started out simple with a t-shirt pattern and an old shirt of Steve's he was going to give to DI
6:55 frustratedly stare at collar, there is no way this is going to work. Butterick is insane to think this is going to fit on the shirt!
6:58 angrily pick out failed attempt at attaching collar band to shirt
7:00 cut a new collar band, bigger this time, I'll show Butterick who is boss, talk out loud to myself that "I can do it, I can do this, I can make a simple t-shirt"
7:02 angrily throw shirt on table and vow this just isn't going to work, reluctantly start picking out failed attempt #2
7:05 doorbell rings and girls from ward come over to borrow electric sander and ask for advice about refinishing a changing table
7:08 visiting teacher stops by to drop off homemade strawberry jam and a note
7:10 head over to girl's apartment to assess the changing table
7:35 come home and pick up shirt where I left off. I am sweating since girl's apartment was way hot, recut another collar band and again fail to make it work
7:42 this time I am quiting, I put all sewing supplies in a heap and vow, this time I really mean it, I am DONE
7:45 read visiting teacher's note
excerpt to follow:
Barbara Thompson, second counselor in the Relief Society general presidency: “Sisters, now more than ever, we need women to step up and be strong. We need women who declare the truth with strength, faith, and boldness. We need women to set an example of righteousness. We need women to be ‘anxiously engaged in a good cause.’ We need to live so that our lives bear witness that we love our Heavenly Father and the Savior Jesus Christ and that we will do what They have asked us to do”
Visiting Teacher:
"This quote made me think of all the women that are seen as icons or role models today (kind of scary!) Its so true - we need real examples; women willing to defend their beliefs and stand for what is right rather than what is popular. The last line in this quote made me think of you, a perfect example of someone who is living to bear witness that you love your Heavenly Father and are willing to do what he has asked us to do: raise one of his precious children in the gospel. It is the most amazing power that He has given us. I believe it is His way of letting us know that He loves and trusts us and He knows the amazing things we are capable of"
7:48 tears of gratitude streaming down face onto counter, this is exactly what I needed to hear and suddenly I am happy not because my visiting teacher said such kind things but because I was given a glimpse of the bigger picture, a glimpse I very rarely take the time to look at
7:50 Steve comes over and sees me crying and all I can say is that I am not upset but I am happy. I am sure he thinks I am the biggest freak of the night, in fact this is one of the rare nights I have been a freakish pregnant woman.
8:00-8:30 work on shirt with deep calm breaths, then I realize that I am supposed to be making a newborn shirt. It seems kind of big?
8:30 laugh with Steve over gross oversizement of said shirt
8:45 abandon shirt for night (maybe forever?) and take week 26 picture
1 comment:
oh, you look so cute! i have always found that patterns run a little big especially childrens. not sure why? i applaud you for a making a shirt, though. sleeves are hard! :)
Post a Comment