Monday, March 8, 2010
Alice In Wonderland
Since our parents were in town for Henry's blessing we were able to sneak away for a much needed date. We ate lunch at Five Guys and then went to a matinee of Alice in Wonderland.
This has always been my favorite disney movie so when I read that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp were teaming up to remake the classic Lewis Carrol, I was thrilled. But not too excited because I didn't want to be disappointed. Anticipation often ruins movies for me.
Well, they didn't disappoint. I loved it. I loved the new story line, the old favorite characters and the beautiful and curious artistry of the film. The sets were so interesting and the costumes literally left me wishing I was Alice. It was kind of scary-for a small child-and it had that charming oddity akin to a Burton film and a crazy (drug induced?) land. Like Alice, I was glad to return to Wonderland.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really enjoyed it too! Enthralled with all the different Alice dresses and the oddities of Burton. John said his favorite dress was the one worn in the Red Queen's castle. It was very Christian Siriano.
I completely agree. There's always been something creepy about the Alice stories and movies. Even the Alice ride at Disneyland is kind of eery, with its luminescent characters and creepy Cheshire cat, etc. Have you ever seen the 1933 black-and-white Alice movie with Cary Grant as the Mock Turtle? Very, very weird! Burton did an excellent job of updating the story--giving it a plot involving Good vs. Evil, the standard framework of good fantasy fiction--while enhancing the creepiness (in typical Burton style). I loved the Mad Hatter--seeing his backstory and feeling extremely sad when he finally says good-bye to Alice. I was hoping that, at the every end, Johnny Depp would suddenly be a shipmate on Alice's boat, so she and the Mad Hatter could sail off into the sunset together! But it was not to be.
Post a Comment