Tuesday, March 9, 2010

80 Days into Motherhood

The Working Mother:

When I was a little girl I thought I would go to BYU, get married, have kids and be a stay-at-home mom all before the ripe old age of 22. Its actually true, I have this in one of those predictions you write in young women's.Luckily reality is much better. Whatever course your life takes its usually better than the prediction of a naive 12 year old.

Last week I went back to work full time. It didn't break my heart. I didn't cry.

The first day was kind of fun and exciting, grown ups to talk to again, finishing projects, and feeling like it was old times again.The second day I was exhausted. To make this work with Steve's class schedule, I start work at 6:00 am. I work until lunchtime when I come home and take Steve to school, I then hang out at home with Henry for a couple of hours, then go get Steve and then its back to work until 5 or 6.

The first week it was hard not to feel sorry for myself. I was so tired that "woe is me" was often on my mind. In reality, I don't mind. I don't mind pumping in a one stalled bathroom on a leather chaise while reading In the Woods. I'm glad I can provide for my family . I'm grateful for the job I have especially in this economy. I know its not permanent. I'm grateful I have Steve to tag-team parent with.(All pictures, Henry 11 weeks old)

5 comments:

joojierose said...

have i commented on any henry posts yet to tell you how a-dor-able he is?! if not, i am sorry because he really is.

and i am uber, uber impressed with this schedule you've worked out. i think self pity is not totally uncalled for - few could have such stamina, and i'm so impressed you're making it work!

you're very much an inspiration, just fyi.

Emily said...

Love those pictures of Henry. He is so so cute.

Beckie.. you are an amazing mother! You are making it work. Steve is so lucky to have you!:)

Megan said...

Henry looks totally like a Gallegos in those pictures. The nose-mouth area especially. So adorable. You're a great mom, Beckie, and it's pretty cool that Henry gets to spend a lot of time with his daddy. :)

Cyn said...

Take care of yourself. I've never been inclined to worry about you and don't want to start now (:>). xoxoxoxoxo

Stephensen Celebrations said...

I know all about working with a little one. It is totally doable and the time you spend with your children before and after work just seem so precious. Maternity leave always flies by too fast. However I have to admit having other adults to talk to during the day is very nice. Good luck with working and being a fabulous mommy!