Thursday, October 9, 2014

182 days into Motherhood: Michael Phelps


Have you listened to the comedy stylings of Jim Gaffigan? He is hilarious. Mostly he talks about bacon and the shame/joy of eating fast food. His bit on camping is also amazing. When I was pregnant with Vivian, the above meme was making its way around the universe. (ie: facebook and pinterest and twitter)

He has four (or maybe five?) children. He jokes that his wife has one annually. But as a parent he really hits the nail on the head. And while he is talking about his fourth, I think this applies anytime you add another baby to the family.

It is like drowning. Pregnancy really wipes you out and then BAM! you are handed a baby and sent home from the hospital. You might already have other kids and whether you do or not, for weeks you will be treading water just to survive. Instead of planning and preparing for life, you're just handling each moment as it comes. Its hard not too feel overwhelmed and desperate.

And then something magical happens. One day you realize that you're not just treading water but you're swimming the length of the pool. You're splashing and having fun with your kids. They have their floaties on and you have developed some muscles from all your hard work. Everyone is not just surviving, they are alive.

And you are doing laps like the Michael Phelps of parenting.


And here is a quad shot of a certain cutie who has helped me become a better swimmer...

1 comment:

Megan said...

I love Jim Gaffigan! Bibbity Bobbity Bacon! Yep, he has 5 kids, and in a tiny NYC apt. I read his book, which was only mildly funny, but it was definitely right on about parenting, right? I love the camping thing too.