When I did my big closet clean out, I set aside anything I could refashion or repurpose. The pile was actually quite large and I am trying to get through them all in my 30 days. I don't think that is going to happen but I am plugging away at it and will post my refashions here.
First up! I found these green heels at a thrift store for a couple of bucks and loved the color. I still love the color but I never wore them and every time I put them on, I just didn't feel them. But I like the shape and thought I could give them new life. And hey, if it failed then no love lost.
I opted to paint them as they are made out of canvas with leather/fake leather insoles. This project was simple and would be great if you have minimal crafting skills.
You need:
-canvas shoes
-brushes, one big for coverage and one small for details
-masking tape or painter's tape
-paper towels to scrunch in the toe
-acrylic paint, I chose a wine red and added a hint of bright red to liven it up
1. Start by cleaning shoes if needed and tape off the leather area and the soles. I also stuffed a paper towel in the toe area. Cover your work space with newspapers and gather your painting supplies.
2. Invite a helper to sit and watch.
3. Start painting. You'll probably want/need to do two coats. Two thinner coats vs one thick coat will produce better results.
4. Examine shoes from all angles to make sure you got all the cracks and crevices.
5. Once you are done with your two coats, allow to dry completely. This is the hardest for me as I am super impatient. Set aside somewhere to dry where you won't be tempted to cheat.
6. Step out in your new shoes for fall! I am really happy with how they came out and can't wait to wear them when my 30 days are up. Don't forget to update your nail polish to a more seasonal color than hot pink...

2 comments:
Those turned out great! I love the color.
Sorry to be so behind on your posts, but extremely busy on this end. I love the shoes in green, but love them even more in red. Perfect for you.
Post a Comment