Spoiler Alert: Sorry people, no pictures of me working out. And I tried to get a good shot of my awesome biceps and shoulder muscles but none of the pictures did them justice.
At the beginning of the year I made some resolutions, like everyone else, right? The goal was to work out more. Not to diet, not to lose X number of pounds, just to good, old-fashioned hit the gym. Sweat and get my heart rate up. Time for me and my body.
I had seen things where each time a person exercises, they get to put $1 in a jar to buy something but who has cash? So I came up with a simple plan, mark a star on my calendar for each day I workout and then once I got to 100 I would get to treat myself to a massage or something equally indulgent. My goal was to make it by June 30-six months-and I missed it by 3 days. Oh well.
Overall I would say that joining the gym has changed my life. Sounds dramatic. Well it is. I actually look forward to going and when I don't, I regret it. There is something so empowering about seeing your body change. The first month was brutal and as I continue to learn more and push myself, I still get sore and beat up. But its that good type of sore. The kind that means I actually accomplished something.
I have figured out how to have enough clean sports bras each week, what to eat after a power strength class so I can function on outings with Henry, to pack my gym bag the night before so I don't forget crucial things like underwear, towels or shoes. I have learned to love free weights and feel confident in that part of the gym. And while I am still unstable on the swiss ball, I can laugh at myself when I roll off and flop onto the floor. I have come to enjoy stretching and often stretch while watching tv at night because it feels so good.
There is also a great, supportive community at a gym. I have made friends with class instructors, built deeper friendships with girls I know and have the smiling-nods of friendship with people I see daily but never talk to. I know if I don't come to a certain class, Jenny will ask where I was. She will also push me to pick up a heavier weight since she knows I can do it. She looks at me when she gives the "die-hard" option. Lindsey will chat with me endlessly about working out and we'll push each other to push ourselves. Stacey is the most fit person I know in real life and she constantly amazes me with her strength and her genuine approval of my improvements.
I also learned that I have been working out incorrectly my entire life. If you really want to see your body change, you can't just do cardio. I thought if I did the elliptical for 40 minutes and then did abs I would get into great shape. Wrong. I have seen the most success by doing more weightlifting. Instead of just wanting to be skinny, I want to be strong. And while I have lost some weight, I know I have gained the most muscle I've ever had in my thirty years. I can flex and see muscle. That might not seem like a huge deal but oh, it is. Sometimes I like to flex my bicep and just feel it. Or my shoulders. Or my butt. Seriously. Its sounds crazy and egotistical but I can see the results and I am proud of my body.
Proud, not because I'm super thin but proud that I am getting stronger. Like I mentioned before about becoming empowered, there is an immense power from being able to accomplish something new. For example, the first month I started at the Omni I began doing a class called Group Power. It is weight lifting to music. Barbells set with lighter weights that you lift for an entire song. Over the course of going to that class 3-4 times a month, I have been able to more than double my weight on most areas. Except triceps because I am perpetually weak on my flappers. But double. What was once a struggle is now too easy. Its amazing how fast your body can adapt and change and even plateau. I have learned to mix it up and try new things and classes.
So if you are thinking about joining a gym or working out or just doing something for yourself, I say do it. And if you need someone to talk to about it, call me. And if you need someone to help you find a plan, let me know. I'm not an expert but I do pay attention.
So here is to another 100 workouts!
4 comments:
BECKS! You are AWESOME! I love love this idea! What did you do for your reward? Massage, nails, new dress? You are such a stud!
Good job Becks!! Awesome! You look fabulous, but more importantly you are feeling great and setting a great example for your son in taking care of and cherishing your body! You rock!
You're amazing!! I've been really unmotivated lately, but I LOVE going to the gym and now I totally want to go more. I've totally fallen into the elliptical/treadmill then abs routine, and you're right, it doesn't really do a whole lot. I totally relate to everything you've said, like the "dude" part of the gym, and having enough clothes so that a sweaty bra doesn't keep you from going. You're awesome! I'm inspired!
Of course, I always enjoy reading about Henry. But I must say my favorite postings are the ones about you and how you've grown into such an interesting and self-assured woman. You continue to amaze. Love you!
Post a Comment