If your child is like mine, he/she loves to look at pictures of themselves. If there is a video with Henry in it, he will watch it over and over again. He loves to see pictures of himself from a baby to a big boy and he loves looking in the mirror. From this fascination with seeing himself I came up with an idea to make a book all about Henry and the ABC's.
This is a relatively simple project once you have all the pictures taken and printed. I simply used sheet protectors with the holes cut off as the base of the book. Each letter has its own half page which is just a 8.5x11 piece of card stock cut hamburger style and then I shaved about 1/4 inch off each sheet so I could sew the book together. The card stock pieces will measure 8.5x5.25".
The pictures were printed in 4X6".
I cut out two sets of the alphabet using my cricut. One in white in the shadow version so it would be bigger and one in black in a normal font. The white letters I glued to the card stock after gluing the pictures in place. I then wrote each word using a sharpie. The smaller letters were contacted papered to be used as a sort of puzzle. I attached small pieces of velcro to both letters so they can be removed and then put back in their spots. I have already seen a big improvement in Henry being able to match the letters.
I assembled all the pages making sure the letters would be in order once the pages were sewn together. Sewing this smooth and thin plastic was really easy on my machine. I sewed the binding about three times. I then sewed shut all the open sheet protector edges. It really was that simple. The hardest part was accumulating all the items but Henry had a lot of fun being directed around the house to have his picture taken.
a: apple b: baseball bat
c: car d: dog
e: eggs f: family
g: glasses h: hat
i: ice cream j: juice
k: kitchen l: laptop
m: mickey mouse n: nightlight
o: ocean p: pajamas
q: q-tip r: ray
s: strawberry t: turtle
u: umbrella v: vacuum
w: wand x: X
y: yogurt z: zipper
Tip: Try and find pictures you have already taken that would work for some of the letters, keep a checklist and mark them off as you find them. I also put the picture files in a folder on my desktop so they were easy to find for printing. If you have older kids, they could even help come up with their own idea for each letter.
2 comments:
We have one of these too. I love how Henry is in all the pictures. Your next book will have to be of numbers. We did one with lining up certain things and what not.
Cute cute cute.
Very cute idea!! I love catching up on blogs!
Post a Comment