Friday, August 31, 2012

5 years today and Giveaway winner

So before I announce the giveaway winner, I just wanted to wax philosophical on this momentous occasion. Five years ago today I nervously listed my first pillows on etsy. I had been lurking around the site finding an exciting new home full of crafters and artisans from all over the world. And its strange to believe but at the time, there were no people on etsy and no one knew what it was. But I was still afraid to officially list my first items, this was it, there would be no going back. My fabric was from ikea, some of the designs were originals and my pictures were awful. I was also doing pillows and hadn't learned how expensive it is to ship a pillow vs. just a cover.

When I first started this whole thing I was super shy about mentioning this "hobby." I was not a self promoter and I still struggle talking about myself. I always feel like I am bragging. Steve was totally on board with me doing this and using my creativity and my friend Elizabeth and I had talked about it and she had literally pushed me into doing it because she knew I wanted it.

I listed my first pillows and from that day on, every time I have checked my email, my breath catches in my chest. Will I have an email telling me about a sale? I still light up with excitement at each purchase and I get even more excited when someone buys one of my designs.

Five years have gone by fast, granted I took off a long period of time when I had Henry plus I was only really doing it half heartedly while I worked full time. I used to read articles about etsy sellers who were able to quit their day jobs. Explaining how they had first dreamed of being able to cover expenses and then maybe they could cover rent and then one day they could say good bye to their desk jobs and live their creative dreams. I would read these articles while at work, hating my office jobs but grateful for the money and benefits, jealous that someone could truly love their work. Well now I am one of those people. I am a mom to Henry first but now I truly love my jobs and am able to help financially and keep myself going and save. I did it.

So if you dream of doing something, do it. Seriously, plan and work hard and you can make it happen. I intend on doing this for a long time. Let's see what the next 5 years will bring.

To choose the winner, I wrote all your names on slips of paper and then threw them on the ground. Henry got to pick the winner. And the giveaway winner is Chelsea! Congrats Chelsea on winning this awesome fall pillow. I'll be in touch.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

It's wonderful hearing about your creative history and give me hope for my photography. Your work is gorgeous! Also, thanks for the shout out on your last post! I'm so glad we were able to collaborate!

Doyle, Chelsea, Little Miss & Baby on the Way said...

Yay! I knew Henry would pick my name, it's because he loves me so much. Excited to get started on Fall decorating now! Thanks Beckie!

Megan said...

Yay! You did it! I'm so impressed with all of your creativity and success. You're awesome!