Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Branching Out

Two new things I have tried recently. Its always good to try new things, right?
I haven't worn a long-to-the-ground skirt in over 5 years, probably longer. I am usually happier with hemlines somewhere around the knee. Even my wedding dress was tea length. My thoughts are: why hide my better assets under all that skirt? But I have been intrigued by maxi dresses recently. They just look so comfortable and glamorous. So I remembered this tutorial from pinterest and this lovely fabric I have been holding onto for years. I bought it at a yard sale. The perfect kind of sale where they are cleaning out grandma's house and no one knows what things are worth. I think I got it for $1 or less. Since the original fabric wasn't enough, I added a thick border hem with $1.75 worth of green crepe. Above picture is blurry but it shows the texture of the fabric which I love and my hair looks good.
What do you think? I love it. I wore it to church on Sunday and it totally rocked. So easy and effortless and I got lots of positive feedback which is always welcome. I was unsure since this is such a new look for me but I might be making a whole army of these.

My second new thing is a skinny jean. For years I have listened to Stacy and Clinton and agree that the skinny jean is not the most flattering thing you could do for your body. And while I still agree with them, I love all my boots and it is a shame that they are hidden under all that pant leg. Plus it is all about proportion and fit (ala Tim Gunn) so maybe I could make it work?Its hard to see my boots in this shot because my lighting isn't great but they are there*.

So my beef with skinny jeans is that when I would try them on in the store, I hated that they were so low cut. I didn't want to spend a fortune on them if I wasn't sure I would be wearing them a lot. So what to do? Well, I just so happened to have this pair of jeans that I liked. I like the way they fit on top so why not make my own skinny jeans? TA DA! So simple. I will do a proper tutorial on this later. I love the way they turned out. I mean, it took a little wearing around the house and some more positive feedback (thanks Chelsea and Andrea!) but I am sold. Also recognize my shirt? It is the shirt I bought over four years ago to wear to my rehearsal dinner. It was white and then it was bright pink and now it is freshened up once again in wine. Hooray for Forever 21 cheapies and RIT Dye!
*Totally sad note. My favorite riding boots that I bought years ago on sale at JcPenney's of all places have a broken zipper. I am taking them to get fixed this week and hopefully they can work some serious magic. It would be a travesty to lose my favorite winter work horses.

No comments: