Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Refashion: Jewelry

Refashion Tuesday is back! At least for the next month or so. I definitely go through phases with my crafting. Recently its been Halloween and recreational reading. But now I am back in my closet with some fun turn arounds.

I love accessories but it is easy to get bored with what you have. At least for me it is. So I took my refashioning eye to my jewelry box and got to work. Why buy new when you can remake what you have? Although I am totally for buying cheap, on trend accessories. Or just any accessories.

I really liked wearing a bracelet to Wicked. I know that doesn't sound like anything earth shattering but I haven't always been keen on bracelets. I think it goes back to my "working in an office" days. Bracelets can be annoying when typing and using a mouse all day. Well I am loving bracelets like I never have before. I loved this DIY from pinterest but all I had on hand were the threads. So I mixed it up a bit. I took a gold chain necklace I already had and split it into three short strands saving the clasp for a closure. I bundled three sets of embroidery floss and wrapped them around each chain. I just looped them through the chain working my way from one end to the other pulling taut as I went. The floss is secured on the start end with a knot and on the finish end with either a knot if I had enough thread or a small dab of concealed hot glue to prevent fraying. I really like the way it turned out and maybe I am crazy but the color combo goes with a lot of different outfits. And I like that its a little southwest-ish but not over the top.

Refashioning existing jewelry is really easy once you get the basics down and a few key tools. I ordered this necklace from etsy back in 2008 and while I loved the wooden circle, I hated the length. Here I am wearing it in 2oo8, I had created faux length with a piece of ribbon, classy. But who wears chokers? So I took the charm off the chain, borrowed a chain from this necklace (this necklace used to be my favorite. I got it on my first ever trip to NYC and my first trip to H&M, my table is dirty).And created something new and wearable.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Oooo! That bracelet is great! It reminds me of J.Crew.