Thursday, July 21, 2011

Scrap Challenge: Felt Coasters

The Scrap Challenge continues with some wool felt coasters. I have never felt the need to use a coaster as much as I have here in Georgia. Ice cold drinks + heat = water rings. And now since we have a couple of pieces of furniture I care about, its coaster time.
Perusing around the internet, I couldn't find anything I really loved so I came up with these on my own. I ended up deciding on felt and I had envisioned a kind of retro striped pattern. The grey felt is leftover from Henry's halloween costume last year and the colors were in my scrap box.
Each square is two pieces of grey felt cut to 3 1/2 inches square. The stripes are in 1/2 inch widths and then I trimmed them as I needed them to fit into the design. All the strips were heat n bonded into place and then I tried to decide if it would be worth my time to sew them on too. I sewed a couple but also didn't sew a couple. Did I quit sewing because I was lazy? You betcha. But I think they still look great. We'll see how long they hold up. Easy as pie. And they are seriously saving my table.
My favorite one is the bottom right, red and orange. It wasn't my favorite when I put them together but it is the one I keep being drawn too when I'm looking for a coaster. The different colors also help me keep track of which drink is mine around the house.

5 comments:

Cyn said...

I love the design on these--very mod. You might want to consider using this type of design on some of your other projects (pillows?).

SeeJulieStamp said...

So true! I need to break down and make or get some coasters. I've been using a hot mitt for the oven.

Megan said...

Those are so cool! For some reason they remind me of the board thingy that's inside a computer. What is it called? A motherboard? Maybe it's the rectangles. Anyway, very cute.

Editt said...

Very cool. I'm excited to finally be unpacked so I get sewing again.

molly said...

These are really cute, my friend. Really cute.