Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Refashion: White Dotted Ruffled Shirt

While preparing to take this "before" shot, I seriously was trying to not have Steve see me. I just knew he was going to make fun of this shirt. I tried to sneak into my usual photo spot and set up while he was playing in Henry's room. No such luck. He gave me a dubious look with a mocking smirk. "Nice shirt." So I caved and asked him to take the before shot. He continued to poke fun with "it looks a little Emma Smith." Little did he know what lay ahead.Okay so the sleeves with the ruffled cuffs are a little school marm meets pioneer but I loved the print and the ruffled front and THIS SHIRT WAS FREE. Now, I am not saying you should wear something just because it is free. If they were handing out sweatsuits for free I wouldn't wear one out of the house. But this had potential and for zero dollars. For those in Athens, the ReStore often has a free pile outside, FYI.

You might think it doesn't fit because of the front button area. Well it does they just didn't put a button there but that is an easy fix. So I chopped the sleeves off, ruffled cuff and all. Took a button from the sleeve and added it to the front.
Look at that sweet print. They just don't make them like that anymore.
And that is pretty much it. I have to say this is one of my favorite refashions in awhile. Paired with one of my best thrift store finds pleated skirt, Guess red heels and we're ready to go. Seriously though, I think the easiest refashion is to just cut the sleeves off. What were they thinking? I just kept coming back to a Tim Gunn-ism "That's a whole lot of look." Word.

5 comments:

Lori said...

so very cute, you need to come shopping with me! I'm no good at looking for stuff like that and even worse at making myself actually refashion them.

Editt said...

Cute! I have a few of those waiting for me to just cut off the sleeves. Soon...very soon...

Megan said...

Very cute! It looks SO much better now!! You're good at seeing potential in stuff.

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

Are you In Athens GA?? Because if so we are temporarily living there!!! It would be so fun to see you!

molly said...

Super cute, my friend!