First the invitations. The invitation really sets the whole feel of the evening. Obviously we were going all out nerdy. I found a Hogwarts Crest online and this Harry inspired font. I printed them on the closest paper in color to parchment I could find in my stash and colored the crests in with colored pencil.
We are pleased to inform you that you have been invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where we will be having a movie screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, activities and refreshments.
Festivities begin July 9th 2011 at the stroke of 6:30pm
Take the Hogwarts Express to (your address). We await your owl post response by no later than July 7th. If you have trouble acquiring an owl, you may respond by Muggle telephone at XXX or Muggle email at XXX
Sincerely, Steve and Beckie Clark, HeadMaster and Deputy Headmistress
Wizard or Muggle (non-wizard) attire are appropriate.
Under aged wizards are invited to attend
Festivities begin July 9th 2011 at the stroke of 6:30pm
Take the Hogwarts Express to (your address). We await your owl post response by no later than July 7th. If you have trouble acquiring an owl, you may respond by Muggle telephone at XXX or Muggle email at XXX
Sincerely, Steve and Beckie Clark, HeadMaster and Deputy Headmistress
Wizard or Muggle (non-wizard) attire are appropriate.
Under aged wizards are invited to attend
So once the guest list was firm, they would need to be sorted into houses. I made sure to invite those who love Harry Potter so that my nerdiness would be enjoyed. So I made a Sorting Hat out of brown kraft paper and then some house pins. Everyone would pull a pin out of an old jewelry bag to be sorted into their school house: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin.
A Slytherin demonstrates Ambition, Cunning, Leadership, Resourcefulness and Pure Wizard Blood.
A Hufflepuff demonstrates Hard Work, Tolerance, Loyalty and Fair Play.
A Ravenclaw demonstrates Intelligence, Creativity, Learning and Wit.
A Gryffindor demonstrates Courage, Loyalty, Nerve and Chivalry.
Pictures of the actual sorting will come later as we used someone elses camera.
Since Hogwarts is a school there would need to be both magical textbooks and potion making supplies. I covered a stack of books with kraft paper and wrote in the book list from Harry's acceptance letter to Hogwarts in book one. We had The Standard Book of Spells (grade 1), Magical Drafts and Potions, A History of Magic and Magical Theory all mixed in with Harry Potter books.
Felix Felicis: Maple Syrup with a little water
Bezoars: rocks
Mandrake Root: stick or you could use fresh ginger root but they were out when I looked
Polyjuice Potion:the juices drained from canned black beans and diced tomatoes I used to make salsa. Gross, I know.
Dragon Liver: Dryer lint in red food colored water
Dream Fluid: Purple food colored water with tea leaves, or leaves from a bush outside
Gillyweed: Weeds in green water
Veritaserum: Water with a couple drops of Worcestershire sauce
Gringotts Gold: jewelry
We also had Bat's Eye Salsa (not pictured): black bean, corn and tomato salsa with chips. To drink we had Butterbeer which was disgusting but I reread the recipe and it turns out I made it wrong. We also had Professor Trelawney's Fortune Elixir. This was an idea I am sad to say I didn't come up with but loved. You put a drop of food coloring in the bottom of a cup, let dry (it takes about 36 hours) and then place ice on top, hiding the coloring. Once the elixir (lemonade) is poured in, the liquid turned the color. We had each guest choose their cup and then read the corresponding fortune.
Just pour the elixir into a glass of your choice and see what the future holds for you.
Red: After graduating from Hogwarts you become an Auror, marry your school sweetheart and have three children whom you give the names James, Albus and Lilly.
Green: On vacation to Godric’s Hollow, you encounter a Hippogriff. You forget how to approach him and he bites off your hand.
Blue: You meet an attractive person who invites you to dinner. After a drink or two of butterbeer, you find yourself madly in love with them. The next day you wake up married to an obese dwarf who drugged you with a love potion.
Black: Avada Kedavra! Be on the lookout for an ominous death.
I found inspiration, ideas and such here and here.
6 comments:
Oh my goodness!! I WISH I LIVED CLOSER!!! This looks so amazing!
Children's librarians around the country are also holding Harry Potter parties this coming weekend, so check your local public library to see if they're doing anything. How many people came to your party?
We had 7 people. Our apartment can't handle much more than that.
It was such a great night!!! Seriously so much fun! Thanks again for hosting!
Amazing! I love it! I wish I was your friend ;) I need to do that for myself to make friends here in Nashville.
Ahh! That looks like so much fun! I want to be invited to a party like that! You are so creative!
Post a Comment