Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Scrap Challenge: Fabric Balls

Henry is a true little boy. He loves cars, wheels, and balls. So naturally the scrap challenge would cause me to remember this tutorial and pattern from the purlbee on making beach balls.

Again I scrounged through the scrap bins and pulled out coordinating fabrics. I cut out my pattern, cut the pieces using a rotary cutter and mat and was delighted with how easily they came together. To make it fun I used an array of colors, patterns and textures. I had corduroy, suiting, thicker cottons and sheeting all mixed together. There is even a bit of one of Steve's old shirts in there. I stuck with the large and medium sizes. Sew the biggest one you intend on making first, I thought the bigger one was easier to piece together until I got the hang of it.
As you can see I couldn't stop at just making one so I made five.
Action Shot!
Henry loves them. He'll throw one and scream. And then you hand it back to him and he'll do it over and over again. Or tonight we came up with a new game. He sat on the couch and we tried to keep all the balls on the couch while he pushed them off. It was hilarious. We were all laughing and out of breath. Plus they are super soft so you don't feel bad when you (accidentally) hit him in the head.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, how cute! Those are fantastic. Noah would totally be into those too. Henry's looking tan!!

SeeJulieStamp said...

My mom also made only one fabric ball that I still have to this day. It was with octagons like a soccer ball. We had a lot of fun with it over the years because it was the one ball we were allowed to throw in the house (carefully).

Editt said...

I love it! I have three boys who would all love to see one of these in their stockings. Now I just have to find a home so I can take out my sewing machine and sew. Thanks for the ideas!