Thursday, June 30, 2011

Scrap Challenge: Soft Snake

Steve loves snakes.

I do not.

He wants to own one one day, like in our house.

I do not.

This is as close as we're ever going to get. Inspired by this tutorial which you have to buy and I was too cheap. I like how it came out but I wish I hadn't cut the tongue so short. Oh well. I just made one long strip of 8 inch wide pieces and then sewed it into a tube, tapering as I went to create the tail. Then I seam ripped a couple of holes along the seam to stuff it easier. Hand sewed them closed and done. I also prearranged all the fabric strips so I liked the color flow and patterns. Henry doesn't love it yet. He has dragged it around a little bit but when I tried to drape it on him for a picture he wasn't having it. For the mouth I just improvised with some felt cut into rectangles and wool felt eyes and tongue.

1 comment:

SeeJulieStamp said...

My mom used to make snakes to lay by the base of the door to prevent a draft. We played with it all the time. It wasn't as fancy as yours though. Very cute!