Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Scrap Challenge: Fabric Matching Game

Our regular scheduled programming (Refashion Tuesday) will commence again next week in honor of the Scrap Challenge. Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.
Round Two of the Scrap Challenge. So far I am making a lot of progress on cleaning out the bins. The only problem is, the last project and this one took up very little fabric. But oh well.

While searching on Pinterest for some brilliant way to use scraps I found this matching game. Perfect. I have a large variety of patterns and this is a great way to keep those small pieces I love.

Again, here is the tutorial but I will share some tips from my experience.-I used both black and white paper (I made two sets and used what I had on hand) the white looks way better. It really brightens and unifies.
-For white paper, I just used a bunch of ugly scrapbook paper I had that was Asian themed but white on the back. Its a great way to use more stuff you have but will never use and should get rid of.
-In the tutorial she describes how she just glued everything together and knew it would not last forever. I took it one step further and decided to laminate my cards.
Pros for Laminating: last a long time, faster than really gluing securely
Cons for Laminating: you lose the charm of being able to feel the fabric, if the laminating gets messed up you are stuck with a sub par product, if you chose to hot glue your fabric quickly in place, the laminater will melt it through the fabric and you'll be able to see it (Note: Exhibit A), it could get expensive fast. (Exhibit A: Hot glue through the thin cotton fabric. Also badly chipped trucker nails. Please excuse me.)

Overall I am happy with how it turned out. I would do things a little differently next time. Next time, no laminating. I would just sew around the edges of the cards on my machine. To finish it off, I made another drawstring bag out of scraps to store it in and made Steve play me to see if it works. It does and I won.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I know how much Steve LOVES playing Memory... especially My Little Pony Memory:)

Emily S. said...

Trucker nails! Morgan's lingo is catching on. I found a really cute matching game on pinterest that is just fabric. I think that's the route I'm going to tak.