Playing with and in cardboard was a huge part of my childhood. A refrigerator box just might be the best toy on earth. Well, I came into a wonderful supply of clean and big cardboard and my mind was a whirling. What to make? Well the real project is still in the works but to whet my appetite I made this house front for Henry. Seriously, this is so simple anyone can do it. Even you!
What you need:
Big piece of cardboard
Paint - I just used what I had on hand
Paint brush/es
Exacto Knife
Pen or Pencil
Lay cardboard on floor and sketch shape of house front. I just winged it and used board books as make shift straight edges. Cut out design with exacto knife. I cut door on the top and down the middle and just folded the sides, you could score the sides but I was worried about cutting all the way through. Paint your design with minimal care and concern for detail. Remember this is for kids not critics and will probably be destroyed. Let dry. I did all of this while watching Live Free or Die Hard and had plenty of time to spare to sew 15 pillow covers and eat handfuls of almonds and chocolate chips.
Tape to a folding table (thanks mom for the brilliant idea!) and you're done. You could even drape a sheet over the back of the table and the sides to make it more enclosed but Henry doesn't seem to care either way.
P.S. One tip I would like to share is make sure you can fit through the door so you can play too which means make room for hips or you'll literally bring the house down.
P.P.S. Isn't facade such a fun and snooty word? I love using it.
P.P.S. Another thing I would recommend after we have played with it enough, make sure your door frames and windows aren't too close together or it will rip easily. See my left window.
3 comments:
Very cute little cottage! Great tip on the door. You made me lol with your bringin' down the house comment.
That is so fun! Awesome idea. Henry is so stinking cute!!
Love it! Now I know what to do with the boxes after we move. :D Thanks for sharing your projects!
Post a Comment