Friday, July 4, 2014

75 days into Motherhood: the best room in the house

The bathroom. 

I bet you weren't guessing that. Here is why as a mother of two in a two bedroom apartment, our master bathroom is the BEST room in the house. 

  1. When I need an escape from everything, I just head in there with a book or my phone. I lock the door, do my business and then just sit around until little hands try the knob, pound on the door or appear under the crack. If Steve is home I have been known to disappear for up to thirty minutes in my cave of solitude. 
  2. Showering. Vivian loves to hang out in her bouncer while I shower. I guess the sound and steam are soothing. Sometimes she even falls asleep. I know Henry is entertained with the Lego Movie or something else in the living room and can count on at least 15-20 minutes of alone time. If he needs me, he knows where to find me. 
  3. Vivian's mini sleeping room. Since she is sharing a room with Henry, it just doesn't make sense for her to nap in there while he is running around living life. So she naps in the bathroom in her bouncer in the dark. It works brilliantly and she is so used to it that often times when I put her in there, kiss her good night and close the door she falls right to sleep. At night she gets a bath, a feeding and then is swaddled up for the night. We put her in the bathroom because sometimes she cries herself to sleep and I am not willing to have Henry wake up. Once she is asleep we carefully transfer her to their room. Done and done. 
We're making it work. 

As I am typing this, I realize I should be a lot nicer to my favorite room and clean it. But there is usually a baby asleep inside so I won't sweat it...

No comments: