13 weeks!
So now that the cat is out of the bag, its time to start blogging about the wonderful whirlwind of pregnancy. Don't worry, I have been keeping a first trimester post all ready and updated. I thought I did a good job last time about blogging and belly shots but I only have about 9 posts about pregnancy in my archives. For shame. I will be better this time.
Coincidentally I found this dress at Target at the beginning of the summer and even though it was maternity, I bought it and wore it everywhere. It is a longish high low and super comfy. Let's see if I can make it work all ten months.
- Exhaustion. I am seriously so tired. I don't know if it is a combination of pregnancy and seminary but whatever it is, it has me justifying daily naps. I now have the wonderful talent of laying down anywhere and falling asleep within minutes. Since I consider this a "survival mode" moment, I am more than happy to let Henry play limitless Super Mario as I cuddle on the ground in a makeshift bed.
- Crying. I can sometimes be emotional when it comes to movies and such but there is nothing like pregnancy crying. I wept through the season finale of Burn Notice. I couldn't even try and hide it from Steve. You know when you tear up but can avoid eye contact long enough for it to subside. Tears were streaming down my face, I gasped in a sob. Geesh. I mean, crying during Anne of Green Gables makes more sense because I always get teary when Matthew gives Anne the blue, puffed sleeve dress, who doesn't? But Burn Notice? I also cried all through the Primary Program. I couldn't help but be overly proud and emotional of my son singing his heart out and making claws on the stand.
- Peeing. Now I have always been a big water drinker. I am never without my cup of icy H2O. But now I am unstoppable. And its not the annoying albeit common with pregnant women, the urge to pee and only a teaspoon comes out. I can really pee at any time. Like a satisfying emptying of the bladder. How am I generating so much?
- Slowed Digestion. On the other hand, I miss pooping. I am a regular girl. Once a day, usually sometimes in the morning. Not now. Did you know that pregnancy seriously slows down your digestion? All that slowness creates a constant state of carbonation which makes you both gassy and bloated and uncomfortable. I don't remember any of this from my first pregnancy. I guess I just didn't have this issue. But this time I can tell you, I have a nice gas-baby belly going on--like if you ate a HUGE burrito and feel pregnant but without the comfort of mexican goodness in your gut. Its unreal. Some days all of my pants will fit and then others I won't be able to even get close to buttoning them. Luckily you can walk around in the comfort of your own home with your pants undone or better yet, in yoga pants. This is very uncharacteristic of me. I feel so much better about myself when I am dressed in real (non elastic banded) pants. Steve knows its been a rough day if he comes home and finds me in pjs. For a terrible two weeks, I was forced to eat every hour or so to keep things moving and help relieve whatever was going on down there. I am now feeling much better and more "regular." And yet now that things are regular, there is still that uncomfortable feeling like I am still full of poo. You know what I mean? Like my intestines are still full but nothing will come out or only a little comes out. I feel like it is all or nothing, its either nothing for days or an embarrassingly explosive incident at an apple farm. Ha ha, aren't you glad you're reading this?
- Random Shortness of Breath. Now I am in okay shape. I have been able to keep exercising although I was "taking it easy" while I wasn't feeling that great. But I will suddenly be overcome by my lungs incapacity to function. Simple things such as walking up the stairs, cooking dinner and making the bed will leave me breathless. The other day I got into the car and had to stop and catch my breath before driving away. Even sitting is too much for me apparently.
- Ambivalence. This happened to me last time I was pregnant. Don't get me wrong. I am excited and grateful to be pregnant and to have another baby. It almost makes me feel ungrateful to admit this when so many people struggle with infertility but its the truth. I am not super attached to the idea of being a new mom again (yet). Even during the ultrasound, I was happy everything was in order but didn't swell with emotions when I saw the grainy, alien in my stomach.
- Dizziness. Don't worry, if I stand up too quickly I might just sit back down and close my eyes. Or I might just crawl back into bed until the room stops spinning (while I am there I might take a nap). This one is fleeting too.
- Mega Zits. Last time, I couldn't believe how acne prone I was during pregnancy. It was like an oil slick camped out on my face. I also remember the horror of finding my first non-face zit. Hello armpit. This time has been just as bad. Thank heavens for makeup.
- Appointment at the Midwifery. Yes, I'm going midwives!
- Wear all my form fitting clothes and dresses as much as possible. Who knows when they will fit again?
- Inventory all old maternity clothing and start a pinterest board of new items to purchase as I expand.
- Reread The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy
- Nap a lot
- Happily eat as much bread as I please without even feeling slightly guilty about it. (This is one of the things I remember loving about being pregnant with Henry. I literally kept a loaf of bread in my desk and would make white bread toast every day at work. Dripping with butter. It was heaven.)
3 comments:
I love that you're so truthful about all the ups and downs of pregnancy! And just so you feel better, I once started crying during Tupac's "Changes" when I was in an emotional state. John will never let me live that one down.
This post is hilarious! Makes me miss you!
Oh Beckie, your poo talk was cracking me up. I love it. That part got better for me, and I'm glad you're feeling better too. I've had the random crying and shortness of breath too. The random crying is hilarious to me. It's at the funniest things. Keep posting the funny things that make you cry. I love it!
Post a Comment