Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weird Weeks

So its been weird around here lately. A couple of weeks ago, the week of Halloween to be exact was just a bad week. Henry all of a sudden got freaked out by his room and he has been sleeping poorly ever since. He wakes up almost every night and can only fall asleep with one of us laying on the floor next to him. I am sleep deprived and sore from sleeping/laying on the floor. Even as I type he is crying in his room for me to come in as it is bedtime and I am going to try to let him cry it out. Sad.

We just plain had a bad week and this past week wasn't terrible I just feel like we spent it recovering from the terrible one before. Isn't it crazy how a bad day can turn into a bad week? Steve and I even had a small pity party for ourselves at the beginning of date night. Allowing ourselves the drive to the restaurant to rant about what was bothering us and all the things that went wrong that week. It helped and was actually kind of fun. Voicing my frustrations with my lack of running motivations, Henry's sleep craziness and even just my irritation with the weather helped me realize how small all those things really are. Small but real.

So this week is going to be better and here is why. I finally figured out what was bothering me and what had me in a funk.

I had recently finished major projects in my life and didn't have anything really waiting for me to work on. I am a person driven by tasks. If I don't have a plan or a project I fall apart or drift into nothingness. And as a person who derives their daily confidence on production, I NEED things to do. So I had completed Christmas inventory and training for the 10k. Suddenly I was adrift work wise, should I start new fabric patterns? Should I just focus on plugging Christmas? The less I had planned, the more I felt like I should be doing (prepping for end of the year taxes, craft show season, new designs, marketing, AHHH!) I became overwhelmed and shut down. Instead I read 4 books in quick succession and had the terrible feeling of accomplishing something while not really accomplishing anything. I love reading but never allow it during the day. It is the ultimate indulgence to me as even while watching tv I can work, clean the house and care for/play with Henry.

I also had met my running goal (the 10K) and wanted to keep at it but with the weather turning chill, Steve getting to campus earlier for work and me just plain having no energy from no sleep, it didn't happen. And then of course I was too hard on myself for only running once a week when I knew I could do better. This week, whatever I can do will be enough in this regards.

So this week I have a plan. I feel slightly refreshed from my work respite and will renew my energies with a few new designs for the shop. I was also invigorated by a trip to a new fabric store. If coming home with 15+ yds of new fabrics isn't a shot in the arm, I don't know what is. I was also contacted to do a groopdealz so that will keep me busy as well.

And as the clock quickly ticks away to the holidays, I'm in full Christmas felt food production which is so satisfying and fun to work on. I might even sneak in a few Christmas carols this week if the mood turns dark.

So stay tuned because we're starting the week off right with my Make it Work Monday Plan! You don't want to miss it. It will change your life. Seriously.

P.S. Henry stopped crying and fell asleep by the time I wrote this! Hooray for crying it out. I am a believer.


No comments: