Monday, November 19, 2012

Make It Work Monday

I am dedicating the title of this plan to Tim Gunn.

So I am not a great housewife. I think I am a good mom and wife-I mean, I am fantastic!-but when it comes to the everyday keeping my house clean and organized, I'm just ok.

Or at least I was until I came up with this plan.

Monday is my favorite day of the week. Its the day I get everything done. I plan to be productive and work hard all day. Knowing I am going to accomplish most of my weekly goals and prep work in one day not only motivates me to work super hard but it also allows me to really enjoy the work.

Here is what I do on a typical Monday.

It starts Sunday night. I sit down and take a look at my week. What do I have going on? Steve and I chat about our plans, letting each other know any changes to typical schedules or things we have planned. So if he has school off on Friday or has extra office hours or if I have a book club or RS activity, we make note. Its great starting the week knowing what we have in store. I also keep track of everything on a family calendar in the kitchen.

Next I make a menu for the week. I do it Sunday night so I can collaborate with Steve on what he might like/not like on the menu. Plus, I often get in a rut so it is nice to get fresh ideas. Or if we have been eating one meal too much now is his chance to let me know. I also take into consideration our calendar. If I know we have FHE on Monday, I usually choose something simple to make or if it is one of the nights where Steve gets home later, I make something in the crock pot because by 6:00 I am done being alone with Henry and I know a complicated dinner will only stress me out. For example: it doesn't make sense to have a huge meal the night of the kid's soccer games so maybe if you wanted to try a new recipe, put it on a day where you will have more time.

From the menu I make a grocery list. I only go to the grocery store once a week and then Sam's Club once every other week. Sometimes I will run into the store for a stray item but I try not to. I make a detailed list including items for lunch, snacks and anything we might need for the week. Since I go to the grocery store on Monday, I try and take into consideration fresher items being used at the start of the week. I also try and utilize ingredients in more than one meal. Hawaiian haystacks is yummy and most of the leftover toppings can be thrown on a pizza the next day. Having a menu really helps me stay organized and I feel like I not only spend less money but we waste a lot less food.

These things sound simple but they make a world of difference.

Monday I hit the ground running, literally. I try to at least exercise on Monday. It is a great way to start the week with energy and then you can always have one workout checked off your list.

I also start a load of laundry as soon as I am up. Monday is the day I do all our laundry. Usually it is between 4-6 loads. I do all our sheets and towels, all our whites and 2-3 loads of colors. It sounds daunting but knowing this is the only day I have to do it is comforting. I start early so I can have my first load drying and my second load in the washer by the time I head out for errands.

Just a sampling from a few weeks ago-you know-when I originally meant to write this blog...
Before I leave the house I also jot down a list of my things for the day. I love being able to cross things off a to-do list. Each time I cross something off, I am motivated to keep going so I break down tasks into smaller parts. Instead of just putting "clean house" I break it down into "clean Henry's bathroom," "dust living room," "sweep kitchen," "empty dishwasher," etc. This helps me have manageable and doable tasks. Its also easier for me to see something simple like empty the dishwasher, know it will take less than 10 minutes and then complete it. I put everything I want to accomplish on my list and usually have way too many items to complete in one day on it. 

After we have eaten breakfast, gotten ready and gathered everything for our errands we head out. Since I don't work my etsy shop on Sundays, I also answer any convos from Sunday and prepare any outstanding orders for shipping. I like to get out of the house before 10:00 am so I can be home to unload everything and accomplish a few chores before lunch. We take the recycling to the local free drop off, head to the post office and then go to the grocery store. Since this is my work hard day, I try and make our trip to Walmart as fun as I can. We go and see the christmas decorations, look at a few toys and always get a cookie. 

Once we're home and we've had lunch, I start to tackle my list. I work through things by trading off a task for home, a task for etsy. I also try and mix it up by setting a timer and seeing how many things I can get done in 30 minutes with the promise of a break after the timer goes off. I also set aside things I can do while watching tv and save them for when I watch the newest episode of Once Upon a Time. Folding laundry is a great excuse to watch tv. Ironing is also a great tv multitasking activity.

By dinner I am ready for a break and since I have a menu in place I know what I am cooking and I even know I have all the ingredients on hand. After dinner we have FHE. After Henry is in bed, I get back to work and finally get into bed on nice clean sheets and know I have done my hardest that day.

I don't always follow through with a ton of my to-do list items but I am working on being okay with items undone on my list. Instead of looking at the things I didn't cross off, I try to focus on all the things I did accomplish. There is always another day to finish tasks. 

Some final tips:
-Get a friend to do this with you. My friend, Andrea and I recently had a chat about our Mondays and she started doing something similar to my routine, we text throughout the day encouragement and our tasks done. I know that Steve cares but sometimes I just want to share with someone who really knows the thrill of actually putting away the last load of laundry. Or the proud moment of finally doing that chore you hate doing.
-Maybe Monday won't work for you so you could easily tailor this to your own schedule.
-Come up with "rewards" to keep yourself going, whether it is Diet Coke, reading a chapter in a book or watching tv, you know what will work for you.

2 comments:

Southern Belle said...

This is so funny you wrote about this. One of my friends and I here chatted about this same thing. She called it "Dig Out Monday." I started laughing when she said it because she has 5 kids and I had been to her house on Monday and it literally is a "Dig Out." I find Monday's to be my most productive as well (at least I did until I got morning sickness that won't go away.) There's something about knowing your house is clean for a week. The place we live in now is about the same size as GS apartment, but for some reason it doesn't feel as clean. As you talked about it I kept thinking about that apartment. It is one of my favorites. (I had a GREAT neighbor!)

Cyn said...

Yup, we're totally cut from the same cloth! Type A's all the way!

BTW, I sent Henry the Mickey Mouse doll. You can decide whether or not to save it for his birthday, but please take the doll out of its box (when Henry's not around!) if you decide to wait because it's pretty much squished in there. Please be careful if you're slicing the box with a razor--you might cut Mickey!!

xoxox