Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween!

 After last year's success at Halloween I was dubious if we could top it. I am a huge fan of family costumes. I think it is so fun and makes you be that much more creative. Plus, who am I kidding, I love dressing up. So this year we opted for Super Henry, Evil Steve and the Damsel in Distress. Mostly I chose this since Henry loves super heroes, Steve could wear all black clothes plus a cape and I could be pretty but not foolish.
 Henry loved his costume. I was worried because he didn't want to wear his mask or the cape at our ward Trunk or Treat but once I pinned the cape to his sweatshirt so it didn't tug on his neck, we were in business. I made his costume and embellished the sweatshirt. He chose the color scheme. I gave him a couple of options in the fabric store and he chose silver and blue. I made the H by free handing a cool letter on white cotton and then heat n bonded it to his cape. I sewed way too many sequins and shiny ribbons on for embellishment and he sure did sparkle.
 For the sweatshirt I used stretchy sequins on his cuffs and waistband so they would stretch and still be comfortable.
 His mask was an adult one I trimmed down to fit his face. Overall I think I spent $10 since we already had the sweats.
 He loved Trick or Treating and got the hang of it really quickly. He was really good at holding our hands and walking on the sidewalk. He would go up to each house, knock and then either say "trick or treat" "please" "Happy Halloween" or "thank you" before he got any candy. If they offered the bowl for him to choose from, he only took one piece. So polite. After each house, he quickly said "We're going to the next house now."
 Steve's costume was just black clothes, a felt mask I made from scraps and a $5 twin sheet cut into a cape. You can't see the back but there is a huge sequined S, its subtle.
 For me, I was going for a girl who was out on the town or maybe at the opera who gets kidnapped by Evil Steve. So I got all pretty and then mussed it up. I lost an earring, cried through my mascara, smeared my lipstick, etc etc. Henry came to my rescue and saved me! I made the tulle tutu for $5 and then wore a white skirt and my wedding dress slip to give it that huge flouncy look.
 We went trick or treating with some friends. A tiny dinosaur and a bumblebee.
Here is a good shot of the back of his cape. Super Henry to the rescue! Overall it was a perfect Halloween. Henry did so well, he didn't even get upset when it was time to go home. And was happy to just have one candy.

And for me, I am happy Halloween is over. After an entire month leading up to it, with lots of crafts, decorations and prep, I'm done. But I love how much Henry enjoyed it this year. He would tell anyone who asked that he was going to be "Super Henry" for Halloween and that daddy was going to be a "billin" (villain) and mommy was going to be an "ansel in dress" (damsel in distress).

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Very cute! You all look great. Good job keeping up the Gallegos tradition. xoxox