I have wanted one for FOREVER. I love mid-century accents and furniture and what could be more so than a sunburst mirror. All the ones I could find that were big enough to go above our bed were way out of my price range so I went in search of a tutorial online.
I found this tutorial which was really helpful but I ended up making some adjustments based on what materials I could find in my area.
I couldn't find a round mirror that wasn't really expensive so I used a candle mirror instead. I think it was $3-5 at Hobby Lobby. Since this didn't have a frame I had to switch from hot glue to epoxy. The epoxy was relatively easy to use except I got a bit in the center of the mirror. Instead of the branches from IKEA, I used dowels from Lowe's, I got the thinnest ones and cut them with scissors. Since I did this awhile ago I can't remember how many I bought. I also bought epoxy at Lowe's and gold spray paint. Total I know I spent less than $30.
And a tip. If you can't find a frame and are going to use a flat mirror, hot glue or attach your hanging mechanism before you start gluing on the burst so you can handle easier.
I am really happy with it and I love how big it is. It definitely replaces the need for a headboard. It is so big I am a little worried about how were going to move it one day but I don't have to worry about that for years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Fabulous! I can't believe you made this . . . I take it back. I definitely CAN believe you made this, because you're THAT good! xoxox
So great! And I like your assortment of pillows! Did you make them?
Post a Comment