Monday, August 29, 2011
Tutorial: Magnet Shapes and Animals
During the week I really worked on the scrap challenge, I had the idea to make little people and animal magnets for Henry. I wanted to make them out of fabric and then I wised up. That would be WAY TOO MUCH work. So I brainstormed some other options. I could find some cute pictures online and print them out? I could cut up a book? Or a coloring book? I headed to the Dollar Tree and found the solution.
I found these super cute books about shapes made by Playskool. They had medium sized animals and shapes to trace and color. Perfect. I bought two of them. That way if I liked something on both sides of the page I could have them. $2. They also had one about colors which we might add to the collection later.
So first, cut out all the shapes and animals. I colored all the tracing shapes and also cut out the words for the shapes. Then mount on construction paper or card stock and cut out again. Seriously this project is super simple but requires lots of cutting, so put something on the tv and sit back and relax. I mounted the shapes on brown construction paper I have had since the beginning of time.
Then I mounted all the pieces on contact paper, back and front. Once again, cut them all out. I hot glued a magnet to the back of each one and done. I used a substantial sized piece of magnet for each one so they would be easier for Henry to stick to the door. Our front door is metal and the perfect canvas for these.
For shapes we have: squares, stars, rectangles, hearts, triangles, circles, rhombus and ovals.
Here is Henry with his animals.
"Yes, this is my Panda Bear. Would you like to see?"
"Its okay if I lick this dog because my mom covered it in plastic."
And this is how Henry put them all on the door himself. So proud. And they go from the front door to the fridge to the shopping cart often.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very cute idea, though not too thrilled about chopping up books!
Signed,
Your Aunt the Librarian (:>)
Very cute! Lucas is in need of something like this to entertain him. Off to the dollar store...thanks for the idea!
AH Beckie!! I love it. You inspired me. I am going to do that for file folder games. You're a genius!
Post a Comment