Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Nursery

Okay, are you ready for 10 pictures of half a tiny room in a two-bedroom basement apartment? Well here is the nursery side of the spare room. Other half has craft desk and computer jammed in but you don't really need to see those right? I was going to put up before shots but quickly became embarrassed when I realized that the room has been a catch all for all our crap for months.

Note: Oval frame is in fact gold and has been artfully photoshopped blue to show what it will look like eventually. And the bookcase is actually green with a black back but will one day be white when it stops raining and Steve can carry it outside for me.


So this is the view while looking in from the door, that is the little computer nook shoved in the back and our stroller and a slice of my serger. Its perfect actually because Steve can be working on homework at the computer and I can see him from the living room couch-so we can still kind of stay connected even though I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance.

Here is a better shot of the glider that I recovered and the curtains I made. The curtains were made from a duvet cover I bought at a yard sale for $2. The oval frame, found at DI, will one day have some cool initial in it once we figure out the baby's name and I think I am going to move it to another wall to make room for the original Pettis I have been promised.

The crib we got from walmart and was a gift from my parents. I love it. I love the white and the dark stain, it matches everything perfectly. I made all the bedding except the crib skirt because I was running out of steam and target had this great one from dwell studio. There are two drawers under the crib that hold all the extra blankets and sheets. Its really nice and convenient for storage. Steve helped me put the crib together-he did a great job!

This is the whole wall with the crib. Note the banner of alphabet cards. I think they were the perfect choice. The shelf is an old utility shelf that we already had and I made a cover for it out of brown fabric I had, cute Anna Marie Horner blue hexagons and the extra fabric from the curtains.Here's a close up of the animals. Steve and I chose the best ones from the pack. Steve's picks were the iguana and jaguar, I love the elephant and zebra. They are hung on some twine I had in the trunk of my car, I braided a few pieces together to make it thicker and used clothespins to hang the pictures. Here is a close up of the utility shelf. I tied the curtains back and inside are baskets for toys and shoes. Also on the top shelf I bought a dowel from the hardware store, had it cut to size, drilled holes in it, painted it blue and hung it to make a closet for hanging his shirts. Storage baskets were bought at kmart on super clearance. There is a tiny wall between the door and the closet where we have his dresser. I bought this dresser years ago at a yard sale, I think I was 16. I remember thinking it was perfect for $15 and loading it into my jeep-I actually remember the house we bought it from. It has since been stripped and stained, it used to be blue. I bought the knobs at IKEA. The germany map I found at DI and I love the colors. It rolls up nice and tidy and ties with a bow. It is one of my favorite DI finds to date. The dresser will double as a changing table and has 3 nice big shelves inside for more storage. Overall I am super happy with the way things have turned out. I also like that the apple green walls suited everything since I know Steve didn't want to repaint the room.
Its such a relief to have everything almost done. I know we still need a few items but I feel like I can relax a little bit now and just enjoy these next few months.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! I am so impressed that everything is done! You are totally ready months early! I'd better get a move on. Everything looks amazing!

Schoenstars said...

adorable!! i absolutely LOVE it! and i've seen those alphabet cards. they're great!!!

Jordan and Michelle said...

It is really cute! I like the colors and design of the fabrics. you are really creative and have great style!

jordan said...

i love the banner of alphabet cards -- what a cute, unique idea!!!

oh & i found your blog through ScribbleHoney.com, just so you know whose creeping you! ;)