Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tutorial: Bleached Dress

Now why would I post a tutorial about laundry? Why yes, I was a professional laundress all through college and can mangle with the best of them but this is totally different and definitely more artistic.

I bought this dress from Express years ago, it was navy blue and relatively modest, in fact my roommate had the same one. Well as it is years old, it was starting to show some signs of fading but it still fits and is super comfy over my expanding body. I decided to bleach it, hence the tutorial.
1. Select item of clothing to bleach. A word to the wise, only do this on something you don't care if it doesn't turn out, like it was already in your Goodwill pile. Also I think knits and 100% cottons might work best.
2. Change into crummy clothes, you are working with bleach, this isn't the time to be wearing your favorite jeans.
3. Gather supplies: bleach, water, bucket and article of clothing. Also you'll need something to stir everything with and its probably a good idea to get gloves since my hands stuck for days afterwards.
4. Do not put bleach directly on fabric! Bleach weakens fibers (if you've ever bleached your hair, you know what I am talking about) so it needs to be diluted. Fill bucket with enough water for clothing to move around freely. This is important. If the bucket is too small then you'll get a weird tie-dyed look. Add bleach and mix thoroughly with water. I don't have a recipe, I just kind of guessed but I would say that it is about 1 cup bleach to every gallon of water.
5. Add clothing, make sure it is totally submerged and then promptly move bucket outside or you will slowly asphyxiate you, your husband and your unborn baby.
6. Check bucket every 30 minutes or so until desired color is reached. To go from navy to pink it took the better part of a saturday. The water will also start to turn a funky orange color as the bleach breaks down the dyes in your clothes.
7. Rinse clothing in sink and machine wash. I had to wash my dress about 3 times before it no longer smelled. If you're using the washing machine, wash the item by itself first just to get all the extra bleach out.

And you just made yourself a new dress (shirt, skirt) and it cost you nothing.

3 comments:

molly said...

This is great, bex! super cute.

Katherine Mortenson Weller said...

LOL! You are so funny. Love your creativity. And congrats on your upcoming addition.

Megan said...

This is totally amazing. I had no idea it could be done! Wow!