Friday, July 31, 2009

The Road

I finally got around to finishing McCarthy's The Road. It was fantastic, you should read it. Yes, you.

His prose is so simple its terrifying. I literally had nightmares about being chased by homeless men who wanted to eat me. Truly haunting yet a beautiful look at survival and humanity.

Hollywood, please don't ruin it. Please leave the unknown without answer. Pretty please.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

I finally found a few moments to catch-up on your blog. The Road truly is an amazing novel--the best book I've read in a loooong time. But, yes, lots of nightmares for a very long time after reading it. We went grocery shopping the other day and, out of the blue, I suddenly flashed on the book as we grabbed a shopping cart. One of my students said she'd never look at shopping carts the same again after reading The Road. The movie has been delayed forever (supposed to be released last fall and still hasn't seen the light of day), but I may never see it anyway. Not a big fan of cannibalism.