Thursday, July 23, 2009

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY & Z

I don't love pastels and I don't love themes. I think themes have the tendency to get too tacky too fast. And I don't love way gender specific rooms. If its a boy, great but everything does not have to be blue. Or worse, pink.

I know that I am opinionated but I like what I like.

For the baby's half of the spare room, I want the feeling to be bright and inviting, sunny and full of wonderful textures and patterns. I'm not talking about the room being so crazy the baby will have a seizure but I want the room to still work when the baby is no longer a newborn.

So far besides the crib, all I know is that I want to use the alphabet in some way. I love the idea of surrounding the baby with learning and creativity at an early age.

After hours perusing the internet, here are the current contenders for wall art:
I love how mod this one is. And how it would be to pull colors from for the rest of the room. From Tim Fishlock on 2021
I love that this one is laser cut from one piece of wood. How earthy and against a bright wall, it just might do the trick. From bookhou
I also loved the idea of using alphabet cards and hanging them as a banner on a ribbon or framing some favorite ones. From the land of nod-p.s. this site has some beautiful things

The Original ABC Love poster, this is just right without being too mushy for me. From jenniferramos on etsy
And of course master screen printer extraordinaire, strawberryluna. I have always been a fan of her concert posters and think having some of her work would be great.
And the website that started it all. This is the wonderful etsy shop of bibbity and they are actually from SLC. They also have these cards in french and spanish. I love them all.

Decisions, decisions...and of course careful editting

6 comments:

Cyn said...

I love the theme. Totally gender-neutral, which is smart. But it also matches the gift I already bought the baby, so don't say I copied you when I give it to you after the baby is born! xo

Margie Quilter said...

You have a very creative mind Beckie! I wish I was more like that!

jamie. said...

i love what you came up with.
i found these on supermarkethq.com.
also have you thought about wall decals? they make some pretty sweet baby prints. :)

http://supermarkethq.com/product/modern-baby-clock-bear

http://supermarkethq.com/product/animal-alphabet-poster-pink-blue

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27011239&ref=sr_gallery_3&&ga_search_query=kids+wall+decal&ga_search_type=all&ga_page=19&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

Melinda said...

I like you ideas! Here are some I had in my etsy favorites too:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=71723

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=64040

And I completely agree with your dislike for the pastel pink.

Three Strong said...

You may also enjoy www.lisadejohn.com, I have used some of her designs in Maddie's room and love them.

beckie said...

Jamie I love the wall vinyl one but we'll only be in our apartment for 6 months befire we move. Its tempting though.

Danielle, I love that artist. Definately bookmarked!