Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Early Morning

So this is happening^^^^

When I was released from Primary, I was actually called to be one of our ward seminary teachers. That's right, early morning seminary. At first I was worried because last year they met at 6:10 am (!) which in my opinion is way too early. But after a little persuading--seriously, high school doesn't start until 8:30--I got them to move it back to 6:40. A thirty minute triumph!

And it really isn't that bad. I actually like getting up and starting my day with somewhere I have to be. As a stay at home mom it is easy to just kind of drift through the morning if you don't have plans. Now I have plans.

And with a little bit of preparation, I have found this new schedule completely doable. I make piles of clothing at night, I even get out my breakfast and place my keys on my purse so I don't have to rummage for them. I pack gym bags with my extra outfits and mentally prepare in case Henry wakes up in the night. Bedtime is around 10:00 with lights out around 10:30. I love being able to go to bed and just fall asleep out of sheer exhaustion. Which means, I am also not napping. A struggle? Yes, except on those days when I was sick and did nap and the one day where I came home, laid down and woke up an hour later without even meaning to. I love that I get to start the day in a positive way and I try to keep my momentum going. Granted we are now on week four and have just truly mastered the new routine, but mastered it we did.

Steve's schedule this semester is also conducive to me hitting the gym between seminary and dropping Henry off at preschool. Or the Monday solo grocery shopping run. He has been a great help getting Henry dressed and ready to go.

This year we're studying the Book of Mormon and it is a wonderful way to start each day. Our youth, all five of them, often surprise me with their energy and insight at such an early hour. I love working with the youth of the church and can see their growing testimonies and love their questions. They are a joy. I also have an incredibly bright and knowledgeable co-teacher who continues to amaze me with her familiarity with the scriptures. I need to step it up! which will be very good for me. At first the sheer volume of the material felt like an impossible task-the manual weighs like 5 lbs and there are over 160 lessons!-but as we keep plowing through I find it is either more manageable than I originally thought or I am better suited for the task than my self-doubt let me believe. Either way, it is going to be a great year.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Awesome. I spoke with Liz last night and she was sharing with me some of Amy and Rebekah's devotionals. I was cracking up! I sure miss those girls!

SeeJulieStamp said...

Wow! I've actually been trying to get up earlier but I'm shooting for more like 7:10 so I've got 30 on you. I'm not there yet though.