Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Etsy Advice: before the first listing(s)

So figuring I didn't scare you away with my last post, we'll continue on. And if you asked a question check the bottom of the post for the answer.

You might think that running an etsy shop is as simple as making something great and then listing it online. Well you're wrong. As I have been thinking about this process I have come to realize that most of my time isn't even spent sewing. I have had people say to me, "So you must spend all your time sewing." And I casually respond, "Not really." I am not trying to make it sound like its less work than it is because it is a lot of work but most of my time is not spent sewing.

For a clear example let us journey through the life of a pillow cover.

1. Inspiration: I either see a fabric I like or I come up with a design that I want to create. This can take anywhere from 10 seconds to days. Especially when I am creating my own designs or prints or trying something new, this takes a lot of time. I also count all the hours I spend reading magazines in this time. More on that later.

2. Gathering supplies. Driving to the fabric store, loading Henry into the cart, choosing the fabric or going to another store to get it when the first store didn't have what I envisioned.

3. You have your materials. Its time to muster the energy for action. Now it takes me less than 15 minutes to cut and sew a pillow but I usually do them assembly style. Creation time can depend on a lot of variables. When can you craft? Can you work without interruption? Is the work detailed and time consuming?

4. Hooray the pillow is done. Photography Time. That means I have to choose an array of coordinating pillows to photograph with it and get my lighting right.

5. Next all the pictures have to be uploaded to the computer, sized and edited.

6. Now you're ready to list. I don't know about you but I am exhausted. But you can do it. A lot of these steps go fast especially when you get into a groove.

Okay so one more thing before we list our first items, you need to set up shop. I am not going to go in depth on setting up your shop. Etsy has provided lots of material on the subject. But here are a couple of my tips:

-get yourself a banner and avatar that are connected. Its all about branding. I have been bexcaliber for years and I will stick with it because people know who I am. I am the red chair on the turquoise background. I used to photograph all my pillows on our red chair. Stuff like that sticks with people. So while you're still starting up, find something that works for you. Also if you can't make your own banner, commission one. Etsy is full of designers willing to work for cheap.

-fill out your policies. Don't know what to put. Go look through a big time seller's. I learned as I went but there is no need to. As each situation came up, I revised my policies to protect myself. Do some research and save yourself some trouble. Her's are good and here are mine.

-in the message to the buyer field, I restate my shipping policy so that customers are reminded and in case they don't check my policies before purchase. Make sure your shipping time line is feasible too. Don't promise next day shipping if it is going to become a pain for you.

-get out there and start "heart"ing other things. Browse etsy and heart everything you like. Create circles too. Its a great way to make yourself known before you're listing things. Get into the forums. Now, I have to be clear about forums. I think they can be a huge waste of time but when you are first starting out, they are a great way to get yourself out there. I know you might be tempted to throw yourself into the critique ones but it can be pretty disheartening so be prepared for brutality.
But the forums are full of a lot of great advice and great people too. Here is a great forum post on why it takes time to get going on etsy. It truly is all about connections.

Now time for questions. Feel free to add any as comments to this post and I will answer next time.
Q:When you list an item on etsy, does it cost .20/day or .20/item? And if it is per day, do you have to go in and relist it every single day? I've looked around etsy and was under the impression that it was .20 per item.
A: This is a great question. Each item costs .20 to list and your listing doesn't expire for 5 months. So you could list one item in your shop and then get hit by a bus and if you don't return to etsy for five months, your item will still be available for purchase to the general public. Now once you list your item, it is placed at the top of the searches. But as other sellers list similar items, your item gets pushed down the list. Posting 2-4 items a day at different times guarantees you'll always be close to the top of the searches and that you'll reach the widest number of buyers.

1 comment:

SeeJulieStamp said...

Great advice beckie. Hopefully this will make me get around to actually using the account that I created several years ago. THANKS!