I dabbled in screen printing a couple of years ago and a little bit at Halloween but really got interested in printing after I read the book Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin during multiple trips to Barnes and Noble. I know I should just buy it but for now it makes going to Barnes and Noble exciting. She goes over many different ways you can print using simple to complex methods in your own home. I loved the idea of being able to create my own textiles and new pillow covers started running through my mind. Fast forward to a couple of days before Steve's birthday and since he had requested a printed t-shirt, I thought I would apply what I had learned. Foam Stamps here we come!
-Object on which to print: in this case black t-shirt
-Design: I printed this from the internet, it is the artwork of Aakash Nihlani as requested by Steve* Note: if you want to do lettering or anything that needs to read a specific direction, make sure you print it out backwards or that you can see through the paper enough to cut backwards. Also the more basic the design, the easier it is going to be to cut out.
-Exacto knife, scissors, self-healing mat (most people use these for quilting but they are nice to cut out on, or you can just use your crappy rental carpet like I did)
-3 sheets foam with adhesive backing (you can also buy non-sticky back foam but then you'll also need glue)
-Paint: make sure it is the appropriate paint for the textile which you will print on ie: fabric, wood, paper
-Sponge brush or brayer for paint application
Okay lets begin!
1. Peel the back off one sheet of foam and adhere directly on top of another sheet. Why? You want your design to be raised up enough from the base of your stamp so the paint doesn't get on your base and then get printed. Position design on foam and trim foam around design. My paper kind of stayed in place while I was cutting so I didn't glue it in place but you can. Another option if you are doing a simple design is to trace it directly onto the foam with a pencil.
2. Cut out design. This design was super complicated and took almost 2 hours to cut while I watched Ghost Writer and Henry napped. I have since made other ones that take way less time.
3. Once design is cut out, cut out a solid piece of foam from the 3rd sheet that the design will fit on. Adhere this to a piece of thin cardboard. (see picture below) In my case, I used an empty triscuit box. This is the base of your stamp. Once foam is on cardboard, adhere cut out design in the center.. Trim around as needed. Its important to use the foam for the base because it is waterproof and will clean easily between print sessions.
3. Prepare paint and printing surface as directed by your product. I did a test print on a onesie for our new nephew first. Its a good idea to do a test either on a scratch piece of paper or fabric. If doing clothing, make sure you put cardboard or a couple of pieces of paper between layers to prevent paint bleeding.
4. Apply paint to stamp. If you have a brayer, it will be easier but I found using a foam brush simple enough. If your design is large, the foam brush will get old, fast. Make sure to only get paint on the raised section of your stamp. If you get it on the base, wipe clean before printing.
5. Place painted stamp on shirt and firmly press down with your fingers. Make sure not to shift image once in place. And also make sure to press down over the entirety of the design so all of it prints evenly.
6. Hold your breath and lift stamp gently from the shirt.
7. Get excited and quickly finish your project and then proceed to print your new design on anything that will stand still. I mean I had all this paint mixed, I might as well use it, right?
Pillow is for us and is not for sale but I will be adding my own textile designs to the shop this week. Happy Printing! Please let me know if you have any great tips to add or any questions.
*Please don't steal people's artwork. Since this is strictly for personal use, I feel okay about using the image but I would never try to sell something that someone else created. Respecting creative license is very important to me. Ideas are incredibly personal and should be respected. Okay, someone take this soap box away from me now.
2 comments:
beckie!! so cute!!! ur so talented at EVERYTHING.
Love the onesies! Thank you! Nathan can fit in them already!:)
Post a Comment