

I love being home with Henry. And I love having the internet but does anyone else find themselves annoyed with how many times they end up checking their email or their blog or their facebook or someone else's blog each day? I feel like I am tied to the computer all day and in an annoying way.Like when I leave the house to run errands and I don't go near a computer for hours, its great. But when I am home I think "oh, I'll just check my email real quick." and of course, there is nothing. Or I think "I'll just get on facebook for a minute." and no one has posted anything new but I still waste 15-20 minutes on there. Its something I didn't think would be a bother or pain but I really feel like I need to make a goal to control myself and stay busy with other things. Why do I rely on these things so heavily? I realize they are good in moderation since I do blog and have a facebook account but they stop being enjoyable when it feels more like a chore.
Anyway other stay-at-homers feel the same way?
5 comments:
I felt this same way for a long time! I finally came to the conclusion that after moving to Alabama it was my connection to those not around me anymore.
I don't stay at home, but I feel the same way! I end up checking things between each class and at lunch break. It's the worst on Sundays! I agree with Lindsay's comment, I think I do it for the people connection. After dealing with 12 year old issues all day, it's nice to get the rundown on other events.
I am the EXACT same way. And so is my sister Miranda. She told me when I started staying home like she does, I'd end up checking facebook several times a day and she was right! Whenever I have a minute, I just get on and check gmail, facebook, blogs, etc. and I think I probably do it like 4 or 5 times a day, any time I have a sec. It bugs me too. I've tried to limit myself to twice a day but I can't do it!
Yesterday at regional conference, Julie Beck told us we should treat our computers like any other appliance and only use them when we need them. She said she worries about young mothers. I felt kind of guilty. It's just so easy!!
I work at home, which means I'm on the computer at least 6 hours a day, Monday-Friday. I check email at least every hour. I am not on Facebook and do not tweet. My personal feeling is that email has replaced the telephone for many people--it certainly has for me! Would you give up your telephone? Like everyone here said, email is a way to stay connected with the outside world. But I do stop checking it after 6PM and check it only a couple of times during the weekend. I guess what I'm saying is that what you've described seems to be normal behavior for early 21st-century communicators, so don't sweat it.
Post a Comment