and I freaked out.
My first thought was, "Seriously, we've been here for less than 24 hours." Which isn't even correct, we had been there for about 48 hours. It came from behind the washing machine, up the wall, it was reddish black and in my memory bigger than it probably was.
I had about 4 boxes of kitchen stuff left to wash and put away and I was feeling really good about the progress we were making. I wanted to finish the kitchen last night, have at least one room done. 11:50 pm. I screamed for Steve and he went to kill it with a paper towel but we couldn't tell if it died or just dropped back behind the washing machine. That was it, I was done for the night.
I got into bed but I couldn't shake the heebie jeebies. I just knew that I was going to have nightmares about them. All over the apartment, taking over, covering the floor, being on me or worse, Henry. I lay in bed and I could feel them on me. Ridiculous, I know. When we chose Georgia, I knew there would be bugs. I knew they would be in the house but this was sooner than I had expected.
At 5:30 am Henry woke up. I lay in bed hearing him whimper. I thought maybe if I lay there long enough he will fall back asleep. I didn't want to get up. Why was I so against it? Not because I was tired but because I just knew there would be more cockroaches out there. I dreaded turning on the hall light and seeing them scamper across the floor heading for safety. What if there was one in his crib? As I lay there thinking up all this nonsense, Henry's cries became more persistent. I had to do it. I had to feed him. I gave myself my usual pep talk. "You are a strong, confident woman. You are 27 years old. You have a college degree. Why are you afraid of something 1000 times smaller than you?"
I got up, walked through the living room, turned on the light, picked him up and feed him in the comfort of our glider. He feel peacefully back to sleep and I got back into bed.
Guess how many cockroaches I saw while I was up?
None.
But this morning there was a wasp in our kitchen. Welcome to Georgia!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Time to invest in a roach motel--maybe more than one! We've all survived roaches. It's almost a rite of passage. You'll be fine and so will Henry. Looking forward to seeing photos of your new digs and Athens. xoxox
Yay! Glad you made it there finally! I am equally afraid of spiders or anything creepy like that. I'm also the same way about trying to get the picture out of my head. So gross. Just think how tough you'll be after you've lived there awhile!
FUN!!! We had cockroaches in Hawaii, I freaked! But the peeps who live there told us that EVERYONE in Hawaii has cockroaches and its just part of life...I guess its a small sacrifice to have beautiful weather every single day. Glad you guys are alive and well.
Welcome to humid clients! Lucy cornered our first one here in NYC the other night. Thank goodness for husbands to eradicate the resilient buggers. Hope you are enjoying Georgia despite the pests. You should venture to Savannah sometime. It was all I imagined and more!
Really, did I write humid "clients"? And I call myself an editor. You can tell I am inundated with work! :) Take care!
Oh I totally understand.... I grew up in ARKANSAS and they are every where in the south. I wish you luck!!! They are like leaches.... I would still bomb even if you saw ONE!!!! TRUST ME!!! I love and miss ya!
Post a Comment