Thursday, August 19, 2010

Colorado to Georgia

So I didn't take any pictures on our road trip. The camera bag got packed into the trunk and I didn't stress it. We pushed through only stopping for gas and to feed Henry. Each night we stayed with family or friends and had a good time visiting.

And that picture of us by the Welcome to Georgia sign didn't happen either as there was a car being towed right on the state line and I couldn't swerve to get to the shoulder fast enough. Oh well.

Things of note on my first cross country drive:
We drove through the Red Mountains in Ouray, CO and it was gorgeous. The kind of scary mountain ride with inches of shoulder between you and cliffs and breathtaking views you're too scared to enjoy. I highly recommend driving through this route, although not with a U-Haul.

Once you hit Oklahoma you are in the Bible Belt and I have never seen so many bill boards for Jesus before. Also there was a great 50 foot ten commandments. And even in the middle of no where you could find a radio station with someone reading Bible verses or country music.

Harry Potter: And the Deathly Hallows helped us get all the way into Alabama. Having a lengthy book on tape made the trip a little more enjoyable.

We packed a cooler full of deli meats and stopped for picnic lunches along the way. This got us out of the car for 15 minutes and Henry out of his car seat for some much needed roll around time.

We have been in Georgia for two weeks now and so far it is great. We're over the culture shock and ready to get to living life. More on the apartment and pictures soon. I wanted to have everything unpacked and organized by today but it looks like I am going to need the weekend to finish.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

So how is Steve enjoying the life of a doctoral student?