Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala over Fluffy Couscous

In an effort to clean out our pantry before the move, I have been trying to creatively use what we have. Hence couscous + chicken + cilantro + tomato sauce= Indian Food night. Recipes and photo courtesy of My Kitchen Cafe (with my substitutions).

Chicken Tikka Masala
from Kylie W.

1 cup plain yogurt (I used 6 oz and it was fine)
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I used paprika)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (I used ground ginger as I didn't have fresh)
1 teaspoon salt
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients except chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and refrigerate for one hour. (I marinated overnight because I am prepared like that.) Grill or cook chicken in frying pan. Discard marinade.

1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped (I left this out)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for one minute. Season with cumin, paprika and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve over hot rice.

I also made this couscous recipe to serve with it. Note: it makes way too much for 2 people. Add some garlic naan I bought at the bakery and it was Indian heaven. Yum.

No comments: