One of my favorite talks from conference was M. Russell Ballard's about mothers and daughters. It said so many of the things that have been on my mind.
"Teach your daughters to find joy in nurturing children. This is where their love and talents can have the greatest eternal significance. Consider in this context President Harold B. Lee’s injunction that “the most important . . . work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes." This is true for all of us.."
Lately I have been thinking a lot about myself as a mother. A new role. One I am still trying to tackle and balance. Currently I work. I work 40 hours a week in an office. But I have never really wanted a career. Well career in the traditional sense of the word.
I remember specifically when I was in the 4th grade, we were supposed to write a journal entry about what our future home would be like. I think we had to draw pictures too. It was part of an on-going project that at the end of the year would be compiled into one portfolio of work. The projects were going to be typed by classroom moms. I remember saying that one day I would stay home with my kids, cook, and clean and my husband would go to work. The ladies misread what I wrote and they typed that my husband would do all of those things and go to work. They probably assumed what I had written was a mistake. How could someone want to stay home and cook and clean when all the other little girls wanted to be doctors and lawyers?
Today my idea has changed. I want to be a seamstress/ fashion designer, I want to be a baker, a novelist, a librarian, a quilter, a chef , a volunteer, a comforter, a teacher. I want to be a singer and a photographer. Only as a mother can I do all of these things. Its amazing all the facets that this role is going to open for me.
Home is where "talents can have the greatest eternal significance." As a cultivator in talents and hobbies, this phrase is thrilling for me. I know that I will always have something to do and some way to grow.
So as I write this, I am more and more excited to get out of Orem, leave my job and let my career begin.
Read entire article here
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I loved that talk too, and I totally agree! Despite all of the hard things about being a mom, it's exciting to take on such a huge responsibility and have so many opportunities to be creative.
elder ballards talk touched me also and has made me reevaluate what i am doing as a mother & how i can be a better example to my daughter. i appreciate your thoughts.
You are the best! I am thankful that Steve found you. I really enjoy your thoughts on motherhood.
That's really sweet Beckie:) I enjoyed reading it. I miss you! If you end up going to Maryland, I can at least tell you some really awesome places to eat. p.s. Baltimore is SUPER scary!
i couldn't be prouder of you beckie. henry is precious. what a wonderful mom you are. it will be fun to watch from the parent/gramma corner as you continue to grow. i love you.
I totally agree with you! I was the opposite though growing up. My parents always emphasized majoring in something I could get a career in and not to rely on a husband for income. Anyway, with this mindset and once married I was bummed at the prospect of one day being a mom, and heaven forbid, a stay at home mom. My views have changed though and now I feel like being a mom is a great way to grow and explore many talents and hobbies that a career life just doesn't foster.
Great post girly! Loved that talk too!
Post a Comment