Thursday, March 26, 2009

Motown Grooving

Overall I thought American Idol was only okay this week.

First, I hate when singers sound like they are out of breath, ie. Michael Sarver and Lil Rounds. Its painful to watch, like going to a Bette Midler concert, yeah you used to be great but now you are out of shape and shouldn't try to dance around and sing at the same time. Michael Sarver was ridiculous, he HAS to go. Come on America, he is so sub-par.

Second, I was very disappointed in Megan Joy this week, she totally lost her groovy jazzy voice, it was awful but I don't want her to go yet, I think she can come back and redeem herself.

Third, I have a problem with loungy-cruise ship performances and I felt like both Chris and Danny delivered on that front. And even though I don't think Danny's would have been as bad if he wasn't placed after Adam, I just didn't love it.

The only people I thoroughly enjoyed were Allison Iraheta and Adam Lambert. Allison, amazing! I feel like she is undervalued in this competition, she is so powerful vocally and knows herself as an artist. Adam, okay he still kind of creeps me out (slick hair and silk suit?) but artistically and vocally he was the best of the night. Totally redeemed himself in my eyes after that awful Ring of Fire fiasco. (which Steve and I were doing renditions of last night and it was pretty funny)

Overall they didn't kill Motown as bad as I thought they were going to.

2 comments:

jenny said...

spot on analysis! i totally agree. loved allison. wasn't digging the pseudo-elvis impersonation from adam but at least he wasn't wearing the black nail polish. :) didn't it seem like some of the songs like lil & danny were on fast forward or something? it was like listening to a musical frenzy. smokey robinson was awesome though. what an amazing guest to have.

beckie said...

yes! fast forward, it really did feel like that