Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy 200th Post!

I made it to 200 posts. Crazy that there is so much to blog about. I realize that most of it is meaningless but I really enjoy it. So stay tuned for more meaningless bits from Beckie's life.

I wanted to say thank you for all your kind praise on this post. It totally made my day!

And now I will leave you with some artistic thoughts. My favorite kind of art is all about looking at things in a new way, finding beauty in simple things or in the unexpected. Steve and I recently went to an art exhibit at the BYU MOA, the work of Dan Steinhilber. He takes the everyday items we see and use and transforms them into studies of movement, light and form.
Like this piece made entirely out of fish sauce packets
Or this sculpture made out of hangers.This kind of art really appeals to me, I know not everyone thinks its "art", but I love it. I love it because it makes me think. Maybe people are scared of thinking sometimes. I have been wanting to take on some type of artistic study for awhile now. Something that I could always have in the back of my mind, something to stretch my artistic abilities. So I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the hanger mobile you include here! Of course, looking at everyday objects as art is what Andy Warhol was all about. The next time you're in L.A., I highly recommend the Brillo boxes exhibit at the L.A. County Museum of Art. There's also a wonderful installation of the interior of an old garage. You'll never look at clutter the same way again!

Megan said...

Very cool! I definitely think it's "real art"! Ben and I saw something with a similar idea at Centre Pompidou in Paris - it was a giant sculpture that looked like an airplane, made out of things now prohibited on planes. (Like scissors, knives, etc.) It's fun to see what other people come up with.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bex, I must confess I don't check or post very often! However, when I went back and saw the skirt you made I was erally impressed. I mean, I knew you could sew, but I guess I just haven't seen any of your work lately! Great job!! Oh, and happy anniversary:)

Anonymous said...

I spelled "really" wrong. your posts are fun to read! I am going to try to post more.