While I was prepping for baby #2 to arrive, I would ask friends what the hardest part about going from one to two kids was. Most often the response had something to do with emotionally being at ease with having a new child while making sure your first kid was happy and their needs were being met. Since Henry is four years old and very capable of understanding what a new baby means, I wasn't that worried about him not "getting it." I was more concerned about him acting out in response to the new baby and not towards her.
A few weeks before Vivian was born I sent Steve to the library to check out a stack of books on becoming a big brother. Thanks Megan for blogging some great recommendations. Some of the books told about what a new baby can do--pretty much nothing--and how being a big brother is awesome. Being bigger means you can do things like run and eat pizza (seriously, pizza eating was in almost all of them) and you will need to teach your new sibling how to do all these amazing things. There were also a couple of books with real pictures (not illustrations) of families taking care of their babies. I wanted Henry to see what breastfeeding looked like since I would be feeding the new baby.
| I thought I would share a couple of recent pictures of Henry to accompany this post. Here he is with a huge tower that Steve and Grandpa helped him build. |
| Henry received lots of new super hero and star wars figures. Apparently becoming a big brother means getting lots of new toys :) |
The first few days home I was excited to be able to interact with Henry again. After weeks of laying on the couch it was nice to play with him on the floor. I had missed being involved with games and his action figures and even just being in his room.
![]() |
| Henry's first horseback ride! A lollipop and a horse? Heaven. |
![]() |
| Talk about a wonderful birthday party, Henry loved Eve's My Little Pony Party. |
I have had other moments where I was just overwhelmed by sadness when it comes to him. Its almost like a nostalgic feeling. Its the end of an era. And while these changes are wonderful and we are so happy to have Vivian, I feel like a mourning for the loss of what was is a natural thing. Putting these thoughts down has been difficult for me and that is why it has taken so long and why I am so far behind on blogging. I actually have lots of other posts ready to go but I wanted to have everything in order. Just typing these feelings has been very helpful especially since I am doing it retrospectively and most of these emotions have passed. But I wanted to have them jotted down so I can remember.
Next up, breastfeeding!



1 comment:
Oh Beckie I definitely know how you feel. Having another baby has also made me feel so loving toward Noah. And worry that I'm neglecting him! Ah, mommy guilt. That book really is a sweet one. Such great illustrations. I think it'd be a good shower gift.
Post a Comment