Monday, March 24, 2014

oh baby baby: gold sequined pencil skirt

So you know I lead the music at church. Its one of my many growing talents. Well anyway I totally tripped when I got up to lead a song on Sunday. Luckily I caught myself but it was embarrassing and I immediately started sweating and smiling to cover it up. Only a couple more Sundays of that left.

When you are pregnant and love skirts and dresses and have to wear one almost every day either to teach seminary or go to church, you suddenly realize that maternity skirt options are limited. This time I really lucked out with dresses but sometimes separates are easier and give you more options. I had one fantastic knit pencil skirt from the Gap last time and figured I could use it as a pattern to make another one.

Over Christmas I made a special trip to Joann Fabrics with the intent of finding a unique knit to make into a skirt. If you have experience shopping for knit yardage you know it can be tricky. Well I fell hard for this gold sequined sweater knit. You can actually still buy it here.
 I bought a yard of it and whipped it into the most comfy skirt ever. Okay lets be honest, sequins totally itch but I am willing to suffer for style. I love how it looks with simple fitted tees and I like it paired with flowier tops like this olive green tunic. This top is another great find from H&M. Its non maternity but since it is stretchy and voluminous, it works.

And I think it is going to work as a non maternity skirt too which is awesome because I would hate to pack it away. Thank heavens for knit!
 And whether paired with ankle boots, sandals or bright orange and gold heels, its a win win. I scored these heels at Last Chance also in Arizona and fell in love with the super soft leather and fun gold strap. I think I scared my mother in law a little when I showed up with them in line. I am definitely not afraid of color!
I used a combination of these easy maternity skirt tutorials (pencil skirt here...comfy elastic band skirt here) and I used an old skirt as a basic pattern. Happy Belly Sewing!

3 comments:

Cyn said...

You look fabulous. I love the outfit. Glad you can reuse the skirt, because it's definitely a keeper. xoxox

Michelle said...

You look amazing Beckie! And I love the bright orange sandals.

Emily said...

Love these pics! You are looking great.. hope these last few weeks treat you well.