So the other week, its been about a month now actually, I was determined to make a go at being productive. Being creative is a whole other type of productivity. Its on thing to say, "I'm going to be productive and clean the house!" A list of chores ensues and you can easily cross them off. Done. Creativity is a whole different beast.
So I sat at the computer with photoshop open and turned on some music, Vampire Weekend and Matchbox 20-don't judge! Henry was happily planted in front of netflix and I "got to work." I think I also had a small pile of caramels next to me too. Let's work through my creative process for the day.
My first design was just playing around with dots and lines, above ^^^. To open the flood gates of brilliance I often start with throw away designs. The wheels start turning.
What if I smudged each dot? Smudging in a circle around each set of four dots to blend and blur the colors. Its a little more artistic and has movement. Possibilities.
Then I get desperate and start messing with filters. Filters in photoshop can amuse me for hours. Who doesn't want to make their wedding pictures into comic strips? This stained glass simplifies the colors and really intensifies the white.
In the end I settle on this, three gigantic dots in black, charcoal and medium grey, smudged into a smoky, abstract, modern art awesomeness. Simple is best. It reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of art in The Met Modern Art wing. Its a big black and white abstract piece. I tried to find a picture of it, the one of me standing next to it on our honeymoon but my laziness prevents me from hooking up the external hard drive. Trust me its awesome.
Anyway, here they are in the flesh as modern abstract art pillow covers. I am thrilled with how they turned out and secretly hope they don't sell so I can keep them for myself. Just kidding, please go buy one for your couch. Available now in the shop.
These are edgier than my previous designs but as I photographing them I was surprised by how easily they fit in with other patterns and fabrics. Versatile? Yes!



3 comments:
My mind will never work like yours - but it was fun to see a sneak peek at how yours does work. My only thought - it's hard to see the exact definition of the pillow, is it "too illegal" to that a photo with a dark background when your pillow is white - just to see exactly then how the shape of the design is laid out in the 18x18 square. Who knows if that makes any sense....it's late. Anyway - way to be creative!
I love these and also really enjoyed reading about your creative processs!
Becks...YOU ARE AWESOME! that is all.
Post a Comment