Monday, August 18, 2014

Henry: First Day of Pre-K

 This past week we had quite the excitement with Henry's first week of Pre-K.


On Sunday night we continued with our tradition of doing a father's blessing. Steve blessed Henry to have a great year, to learn new things and to make new friends. That night we also got all his school things gathered and picked out his clothes for the first day.

I have to admit I teared up a bit as I was assembling his lunch but only for a minute and then was fine the rest of the week.

 Henry insisted on helping me color this sign. I had to set aside my perfectionist vision and let him participate.

Since Henry's school is only a couple blocks away, we walk each morning. It actually works out perfectly. We wake up between 6:45 and 7:00. I feed Vivian while Henry gets dressed. We pack up his bag with his lunch and then I leave Viv at home with Steve while we walk to school. Henry likes to be the leader and I have to follow him as he winds his way to school. He keeps asking me when he gets to walk to school alone?! Never.

I also walk to pick him up in the afternoon. This actually saves us time as the car riders line is very long. Viv comes too in the stroller and we're usually a big sweaty mess by the time we get home. But thats okay.


His school had a "meet your teacher" ice cream social the week before, so we already knew where his classroom was and he had met his teacher. He was really shy at first meeting his new teachers, Miss Cooper and Miss Pierce but he went right in on Monday. 
Henry's school requires a uniform which I actually don't mind. He has to wear a collared shirt in either white, royal blue or gold. Khaki, black or navy blue shorts or pants can be in twill but not denim. 


 The morning of his first day was actually really cloudy so I waited and took these after school. He had zero interest in taking these photos, as you can probably tell.


Despite this lovely face, he is really enjoying school. He went in without a fuss all days this week except one. Wednesday he cried and Miss Pierce had to hold him while I left. But he calmed down immediately and had a great time. He doesn't really tell us a whole lot about what they do. We get little glimpses of info but not a complete picture of his day. Hopefully he'll open up more as things become more routine.

Vivian and I have a great time while he is gone. The day actually goes by pretty quickly. I love that we are developing a routine and its really helping her get in good napping too. After I come home, I eat breakfast and get ready for the gym. Viv can now go to the daycare there so I drop her off and workout. Afterwards we either run errands or head home. She takes a small nap in the morning usually in her carseat as we're out and about and then a longer one just before lunch. At home I have been working lots on my etsy shop and getting ready for seminary which starts again in a couple of weeks.

I have to say I am loving how all these things came together. Henry is in school and I pretty much only have one kid again. Nicely done, beckie!

After we pick up Henry from school, we walk home, have a snack and he relaxes watching tv for a bit. He has been pretty whiny and difficult this week but we think its because he is exhausted and trying to handle all these changes. We have decided to have a firm routine for him after school to help him cope. This routine will include quiet time in his room which will help him get some rest. We're also getting him to bed at 7:00 instead of 7:30. He generally falls right to sleep so he must be wiped out.

Overall its going well. I hope he continues to enjoy it. Its crazy that we now have a child in school!

3 comments:

Megan said...

What a big kid, Henry! I cannot wait until Noah starts pre-k. I can't wait to enjoy those hours with just one kid, too! Yes, nicely done, Beckie! Worked out great.

jenny said...

Steve shaved his beard off!! :)

Doyle, Chelsea, Little Miss & Baby on the Way said...

cute. and yes, please don't even let him walk to school alone! haha