Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Terrible Threes: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

 We are right smack dab in the terrible threes. I don't know who thought the twos were terrible, they weren't. The threes are TERRIBLE. 

So in an effort to not complain about our current situation but still document daily life here, I will be blogging about both good and bad moments from the past few weeks.
 Bad: Henry has started removing his underwear and peeing on the floor of his bedroom. It is not potty training mishaps, it is an act of defiance. Once while Steve was out of town, I saw he had peed on the floor and while I ran to get something to clean it up, he squatted on the floor and took a dump. It was warm in my hand when I picked it up using a wipe.
Good: Henry comes into my room in the morning and tells me "I love you Mommy." He climbs into bed and snuggles for a brief moment before heading off to breakfast.
 Bad: Henry runs away without listening in the parking lot, darting between cars and giving me heart attacks. He refuses to listen. And when I finally catch him, he spits in my face or hits me.
Good: Henry loves getting hugs and kisses. When its bedtime or I am leaving, he insists on getting both before I go. He'll run after me and say "Wait, I need a hug."
 Bad: Imagine the most annoying sound sometimes high pitched, sometimes really loud, always persistent. Now imagine this sound continuing in a whiny pitch for hours. It will go quiet for a few minutes and then will start over again. Imagine it happening for the simplest things, like turning to go to Target "Not this way..." dinner time "I don't want to get in my seat..." anytime "I want to play Wii sports..."
Good: Henry is hilarious. One day I was in the bathroom and he came in naked. It wasn't that big a deal since he loves to take his clothes off. The funny thing was that he wanted me to put his super hero cape on. It was a funny sight. A naked boy enrobed in silver sparkles.
The good thing is when he is happy, he is truly happy.
Bad: Henry is sleeping so poorly which I am sure is why his behavior and patience is terrible. He wakes up in the middle of the night and will go back to sleep but then he wakes up at 6:00 or 6:30 am and stays awake. This is new as he used to sleep until 7:30 or 8:00.
Good: I'm out.

So for the next few months I will be trying my hardest to schedule enough activities to keep him happy so we can ride out this storm. Quiet time has also been instituted again and hopefully we help us each have a break. I will also be napping at any chance and trying to remember the sweet little boy I used to know who is in the there somewhere. Glimpses of him shine through and that is what keeps me going.

7 comments:

SeeJulieStamp said...

Love the pics! Good luck with Henry and his current antics.

Southern Belle said...

Haha! I love this, because this was exactly me when Cheyenne was three! And I thought I had lost my sweet perfect little girl! I honestly most of the time hated being a mom, but would never admit it even to myself. Now I have the sweet little girl back and Berkeley has not quite hit the terrible threes yet and life is great! It will happen for you too and you will look back at this time and be so glad it is over!!! Good luck! You can do it! Oh and I love how you added in the good points, way to look at the bright side!

Cyn said...

Yikes! Take care of yourself.

Megan said...

Oh Beckie, I feel ya. I hope you know that every single one of these things is totally normal. Noah has done pretty much all of it. Not the crapping on the floor quite yet, but I'll look forward to it. Three is pretty crazy! The spitting and hitting is SO the worst and makes me so mad. Hang in there!

Emily said...

I had to laugh after reading this post! I know where you are coming from a little too well. Things are improving with the twins but they are really close to turning 4. So maybe that is hope for the future?? Call/text me anytime if you need to vent. I just repeat the words I love my children I love my children over and over!:)

the fowlers said...

oh my goodness THREE. it's awful.
hopefully it won't be long before you are looking back and laughing at this!
i'm just glad summer is coming so i can wear my kids out enough for them to sleep well and (hopefully) have better attitudes. :) i hope that works for him, too!
we'll make it.

Editt said...

An excerpt from a parenting book advised that during the age of three find an alternative caregiver to give the three year old and mom a break from each other. Ha ha! See not even a "professional" knows what to do with a three year old.

You should bring him to my house and let him wrestle with my seven year old. My seven year old would find the spitting and anger funny. ;)

Good luck!