Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Makers Summit 2013: Inspiration and Intention


Last Saturday I had the privilege to attend The Makers Summit in Greenville, SC. I awoke early (5:30!) and drove a couple hours both ways but it was totally worth it.  The day was spent making new friends, networking and absorbing as many creative business tips I could sink my brain into.

Everyone was friendly and willing including a couple of girls from Atlanta who I tagged along with and borrowed these pictures from. Oh and I just have to mention the amazing food and organization by Indie Craft Parade. The event was incredibly well run and full of lovely DIY details that made you feel loved and cosy.

I left alive with plans and dreams for the future of bexcaliber. Hopeful intentions.

  So in in effort to process what I gleaned I am going to bullet point my favorite quotes:


  • "I didn't want to trade my life for $8 an hour..." eavesdropped from a lady sitting behind me. 
  • "Creative impulse to share our work is a powerful marketing tool. Find a curator. Be a curator." Stephen Fraser
  • "Do you believe that this is what you're meant to do?" Grace Kang
  • "Be nimble. Launch, tweak, roll with it, readjust quickly." Grace Kang
  • "If you can imagine it, you can turn it into a reality." Grace Kang
  • "Be your own ambassador." Amy Flurry
 A few people talked about intentions and having "Intentional Growth." Instead of setting goals, something you want to achieve, make an intention. Declare something you intend on making happen and make it happen. For some reason, this really clicked with me. Intention implies you already have the power to succeed.

So what are my intentions after an inspiring day? I have given myself a few days to mull over my thoughts and I have decided to adopt the following intentions.
  • Marketing. Focus on pitching my products.
  • Revisit my etsy shop with fresh eyes. I had a great shop critique and a page of notes to work from.
  • Participate in and support the creative ecosystem.
Hopefully I will follow up here with my progress and reevaluate along the way. 

2 comments:

Shannon Gillman Orr said...

It was so nice to meet you during lunch at the Makers Summit this weekend! Lovely blog!

Cyn said...

This is excellent. I'm so glad this was worthwhile and inspiring. Please let us know how what you learned ends up impacting your business. xoxox