The deal with only eating out once a week is that if you try something new and it stinks, that's it for the week. And after a couple of disappointing experiences, its easy to fall back into the routine. It quickly becomes disheartening unless you pick the right places.
Since it was Steve's week to choose our date night restaurant (we take turns picking) he suggested sammy's off Center Street in Provo. I had always wanted to go there thinking it looked kind of hole-in-the-wall funky.

Photo courtesy of sammyscafe
Sammy's Cafe
27 N 100 W Provo, UT
less than $10 a person
The place is kind of rundown inside but that doesn't make it any less charming. You order at the register and then eat at a fun 50's style deli counter. And the AC works beautifully too.
We each ordered Sammy's masterpiece burgers, split an order of seasoned fries and a strawberry cheesecake pie milkshake. While you wait for your food, your milkshake comes and it was delicious. They take a slice of cheesecake (or pie if you choose) and put it right in the shake. Big chunks of graham cracker crust heaven! The burgers came and they were really good. The masterpiece has grilled mushrooms and onions and the best part is they melt the cheese over them so that the toppings stay intact instead of oozing out the side and making the bun all soggy. Brilliant. They also serve sweet potato fries which looked good but I thought the seasoned fries were delicious too.
We left happy and full, wanting to go back. Maybe next year when our challenge is over.
The rest of the weekend was fun, eating fresh tomatoes from the garden, having a Bourne movie marathon and going to the Oquirhh Mountain Temple dedication. And for me, lots of crafting, which I will post more about later.
3 comments:
John and I were thinking of trying Sammy's on Saturday , so thanks for the review! We tried the Rooster Dumpling and Noodle in Provo instead and weren't very impressed. Cheap, but not really great.
Fun! That sounds yummy. I don't remember if I've told you, but Ben's best friend Nathan owns a cafe in Provo. It's called the Pennyroyal Cafe. It's on 155 N. University. It's probably not a whole meal kind of place. I think they serve sandwiches and stuff, so it might not be worth one of your 10 visits. It's cool though, and if you go, you'll have to see if he's there and say hi. Good luck with your food adventure!
Sammy's is one of my favorite places! Next time try the sweet potato fries...they are yummy! The shakes are really good too! I personally like the banana pie shake...and i don't even like banana's! haha
Post a Comment