Monday, June 11, 2007

Empty Carnival

There might be nothing as depressing as an empty carnival, well I'm sure there is but I would say the carnival is definitely up there. On Sunday I decided to trek out into the heat again in search of something to photograph. I had wanted to take pictures of the carnival as it was happening but there were just too many people and I get all embarrassed when people are around.

So I went back on Sunday to capture the "magic" of the event, as I suspected no one was there except some carnies lounging in the shade taking a lunch break. I asked if I could take pictures and got the go ahead.


There just isn't a whole lot of magic when you strip a carnival down to what it really is, old booths, rickety metal buckets and trucks and boats in 3 inches of water but it was good practice and I even got to talk with some carnies. I have to admit I never wanted to run away to the circus as a child but I was interested in being a carnie because their food is just so darn good. After seeing it all empty I was very glad I had never decided to make carnivals my life's work.

No comments: